fishing in Raleigh

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by holbrookncsu, Jul 28, 2009.

1. holbrookncsu

holbrookncsu New Member

State:
    nc
    I am new to the BOC. I talked to the flathead reaper and he introduced me to the website, and it is great. I am also new to fishing in this area. I am going to NCSU and working, but love to fish on my spare time. Any tips on fishing in Raleigh. I tried out the neuse today, but where i went was fished heavly. Thanks

2. 1phatcat

1phatcat New Member

State:
    nc
    I went right below the 264 bridge tues night and caught 3 pretty nice cats
    put the jon in at 8 fished between the bridge and crabtree creek till 12
    caught 1 flathead 10 pounds 2 channel cats 5 and 15 pounds caught the flat and 5 pound channel on live bluegills caught the 15 pound channel on sonnys super sticky channel cat dip bait
    I plan on going again this weekend let me know if yould like to go

3. holbrookncsu

holbrookncsu New Member

State:
    nc
    Do you want to go friday. If so i can go. Sat im leaving for the beach. Thanks for the invite...

4. amk29

amk29 New Member

State:
    Durham, NC
    Shane, nice channel cat, sounds like a nice night on the water. there look to be a few nice snags below that bridge/tressel and great access right there. where did you catch the bluegill? on the neuse or were they imported? was looking for a place nearby to catch bait. may see you guys on the water friday night...

5. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Andrew welcome to the BOC. You'll find alot of very valuable information here an your questions will be answered. Good luck fishing!

6. 1phatcat

1phatcat New Member

State:
    nc
    friday night should be good for me

7. 1phatcat

1phatcat New Member

State:
    nc
    theirs a creek by my house i through a castnet and caught a bunch of bluegill,a few lil crappie 2 lil catfish and a bunch of shad ...i threw most the shad back cuz i knew they wouldnt live but its nice to know they are in there lol
    I can try to catch enough bait for us all friday night although we may end up using cut shad by the end of the night

8. The Flathead Reaper

The Flathead Reaper New Member

State:
    Grays Cree
    welcome new brothers.......i told you youd love this site! looks llike you already found a partner.......good luck and as far as bait.........catch it from where youre fishing!.......it works better! bream caught from ponds dont normally know what its like to be the bottom of the food chain and dont quiet react the same to big predators! but they do still work!........and make sure you carry some eel!.........try them live and cut! use 8/0 gamakatsu full circle octopus hook on carolina rig! not saying its the perfect rig gut its the rig of choice from most cat anglers!:0a25::0a26:

9. The Flathead Reaper

State:
    Grays Cree
  10. The Flathead Reaper

State:
    Grays Cree
    guys......be warned............lol...........i learned on here and after extensive research netting blue gills and crappie is illegal!..........150 dollar fine per fish!:eek:oooh:

11. Shimano_cat

Shimano_cat New Member

State:
    North Caro
  12. The Flathead Reaper

State:
    Grays Cree
  13. amk29

amk29 New Member

State:
    Durham, NC
    Reaper, thanks for the advice. what is your bait of choice w/ bigger channels and blues. i have caught plenty of small ones on traditional stinkbaits/livers/cutbait/etc but nothing to really tip the scales. does the same livebait i use to target flatheads work well for the bigger channels?

14. The Flathead Reaper

State:
    Grays Cree
    i personally use channel cats for bait........lol.............i hate the little poop eaters........catchem with the diaper off my 18 month olds butt........:smile2:......eel is the universal bait of all. cut and live for blues.........fresh cut and live for flatties.............bream this time of year works best for the flatties........just make sure you catch them on rod and reel! the man may be watching!:eek:oooh:

15. amk29

amk29 New Member

State:
    Durham, NC
    thanks man. about the eel. i haven't seen too many used, sold or caught this far up the neuse (raleigh). are they a universal bait for the neuse? if so, do you know any place in the area that sell em? thanks again, really appreciate the advice.

16. 1phatcat

1phatcat New Member

State:
    nc
  17. 1phatcat

1phatcat New Member

State:
    nc
    thanks man i didnt know that but anyway the place where i catch them
    is way out in the country and somewhat secluded but i may just have to find a more private place now lol

18. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Why is it necessary to break the law?
    You can't have fun catching bream on a rod and reel?

You can do what you want to but I don't think you'll have much success trying to fool a game warden. Afterall I've had one that literally spent the time to inspect all of my life jackets for hook holes.

Anytime I fish with live bream I have the rod I caught them on with me.
    I'm really not going to give him the oppertunity or reason to think I'm not legal.

And....Hello to all of the NC game wardens and inland fisheries employees that visit this section if the BOC:smile2:

You'll find out that it's harder to break a law and not get caught then it is to be within the law.
    Got a special device license for that throw net?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  19. 1phatcat

1phatcat New Member

State:
    nc
    lol well....you do it your way Ill do it mine..

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  20. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I'm just trying to help you out.
    I've been here a long time and I see you are new.
    Welcome to the BOC.

It's not the cops you have to worry about.
    The membership is worse on people that knowingly break fishing laws then any game warden could ever be.
    Just read around a bit and see for yourself.

No, I'm not a cop but I have respect for the fishing laws. Afterall I'm a fisherman.
    If only half the people followed the law what would you have? The same fishery you enjoy now?

Just trying to steer you on the right path.