Fishing in Northern Arizona

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by martinman, Jun 21, 2006.

1. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    I just thought that I would give everyone a heads up who may fish in Northern Arizona waters. The US Forest Service just announced that they will be closing all access to the public within the Coconino National Forest. This means that any lake that is located within the forest in closed.

This kinda messes my plans up for the weekend. I was going to try and go fishing at a lake that has smaller flatheads. The lake is located in the boonies within the forest.

Just FYI

Martinman

2. shorepatrol

shorepatrol New Member

State:
    AZ
    what lake is that

3. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    For a lot of people near Flagstaff, it would mean Lake Mary...which has a main highway that runs right next to it.

My favorite, is Kinnikinick Lake, which has a small population of flatties in it. It is in the middle of nowhere, but is in the middle of national forest.

4. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Ryan, did they say why or for how long access is to be closed off?

5. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    They are closing the forest because of fire dangers. We have had a fire break out in Flagstaff every day for the past week. Each one is caused by various reasons. The good thing is that all of them have been out by the end of the day. The Forest Service has set aside access to retardant planes to be staged in Flagstaff so that if any fires start, they are put out immediately.

It is so dry up here that the fires are really dangerous. I drove by the one large one that started last week. It had only been going for 45 minutes, and it had already burned a good 200 acres.

They have said that the forest will not be reopened until we receive more moisture...or at least until they feel it is safe.

6. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I was just up that way approx 2 weeks ago for a wedding that a freind had at Mormon Lake. It was my first time being up there. For a while I forgot I was in Arizona! It is beautiful up there. Have you ever fished Mormon Lake? I saw a few boats out there as i drove by.

7. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Mormon Lake itself does not have anything for fishing....are you sure it wasn't Lake Mary?

Mormon Lake is decent size, but it is really shallow...2-3 feet deep max.

Lake Mary is about 20-30 feet deep and regularly has boats on it. There are fish in it...northern pike, walleye, white bass, some crappie, and good eater sized channel cats.

Northern Arizona is very different from the rest of Arizona for sure. The pine trees really make you feel like you are in a different state. I just wish we could get some rain!!

8. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I am doing a ran dance for you as I type this message..

* Hope you and yours are safe from the fires.
    Take care!

9. AZrivercat

AZrivercat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Whats the biggest flat you've gotten out of Kinnikinick? And whats the most youve ever caught from there? Also, can you catch bait there or do you get it from Upper Mary? I know you can get waterdogs from that store by Mary, but I'd rather have some baitfish.

I never knew flats were anywere around there, but I'd love to go catch some flatheads without battling the heat, even if they are smaller ones.

10. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    The largest flattie that I have ever caught from Kinnikinick Lake is a 12lber. The biggest problem with fishing that lake for flatties is that per Coconino County regulations, the only live bait that you can use are waterdogs. You cannot use crayfish unless they are caught from that body of water. I even asked one of the Game and Fish guys if I could use cut bait, and I was told no because of the possibility that they may think that I was transporting them or keeping them alive.

Sometimes the laws of the land really stink, but that's life.

11. AZrivercat

AZrivercat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Thanks Ryan, I'll get up there to walk some dogs before too long.