Fishing in Myrtle beach

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by truckin4x4, Aug 14, 2007.

1. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    i was just wondering if anyone knows were to fish in north mertle. i am here from ohio on a family vacation and was just wanting to find some where to fish that i could catch somethig. the say that the peirs are not doing to well.

2. catrod

catrod New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Call ahead to see what each pier is doing, I went last weekend and fished off the Cherry grove pier at night and didnt do any thing. I wasnt alone, nobodt did any thing at all. Now your best bet is Apache campground pier, Its the longest on the east coast. Call ahead to see whats going on its hard to catch any thing on the piers cause its soooooo hot.Apache phone # is 843-449-7323. Good luck and have a great time!

3. skiff_2

skiff_2 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Also in North Myrtle, you can check out the Bogues Inlet at Cherry Grove. Head on past Cherry Grove pier and take a left on 53rd Ave N. At least it's free. There's a small dock, a boat dock, small bridge fishing & open banks. Fishing has been bad around here lately. I have not been, but I hear it's really slow from the heat. Supposed to be a little cooler sat & sun. Good Luck

4. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    lots of flounder and some trout in the surf.......also i have heard from 2 sources that the inntercoastal waterway (which is freshwater from 17 at n myrtle south to georgetown) has some big blue cats in it though i cant find it in writing.......does anyone have any info on this....???????????i may post it in the sc forum...mack

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Hope your vacation is going well buddy, have a safe trip back.

6. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    We've caught big flatheads in there but not necesarily big blues. I hada picture from the local news paper of a 8o something pound flat cought out of the wacamaw near conway. best luck for flattys this time of year is south of Wachasaw in the bends of the creek near the old rice fields.

7. skiff_2

skiff_2 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I used to go behind the Alabama Theatre at Barefoot Landing. There used to be a rickity old dock about 3 feet wide where I would fish a shrimp under a lighted bobber. Never caught anything over 7/8 lbs. Had alot of fun, but had to slather down in bug repellant or be eaten alive.

8. catfishon

catfishon New Member

State:
    NC
    if you want to catch something big and just for fun when the mullet is running up close around the piers you can catch some big sharks for fun. Get you some mullet or any other fish and put it on about a 7/0 hook and fish about 3/4 out the peer. most piers have those cleaning tables and sinks to clean your catch. Fillet up some of the mullet at that sink and keep the fillets and chunk the rest in. those shark hear that water running at those sinks and know its supper time. drop you a mullet fillet or chunk off put it about 5 ft under the surface and hold on! No one fishes around those sinks because of the sharks. You wont be able to get them in unless u get a small one but you can have alot of fun! i catch them all the time in myrtle beach.

9. catrod

catrod New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey John as a newbie, dont give out info thats going to get someone in trouble! Fishing for sharks is prohibited on piers, and not very smart!:angry:

10. catfishon

catfishon New Member

State:
    NC
    you can shark fish all you want at a fishing pier. The NC state record sharks came from mostly piers.

Shark, Blue 478 lb. 0 oz.Crystal Fishing Pier

Shark, Dusky 610 lb. 0 oz. Nags Head Pier

Shark, Hammerhead 710 lb. 0 oz. Nags Head Pier

Shark, Lemon 421 lb. 8 oz.Kure Beach Pier

Shark, Mako 768 lb. 0 oz. Off Oregon Inlet

Shark, Scalloped Hammerhead 234 lb. 0 oz. South of Cape Point

Shark, Thresher 185 lb. 0 oz. Off Oregon Inlet

Shark, Tiger1,150 lb. 0 ozYaupon Beach Pier

Don't mean to bust your bubble but there's alot of fishing piers around that will allow you to shark fish.

11. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    world record tiger was caught off the cheery grove pier but that was long ago...all shark fishing from piers is against the law in horry county sc.....mack

12. catrod

catrod New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks Mack... I should have made myself more clear on shark fishing off of piers. Especially at a beach where everybody carries their FAMILIES to go on vacation!

13. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    I've noticed the signs on piers saying you can't shark fish. I've never given it a second thought about why not. Seems to me that they'd also prohibit cleaning your fish on the pier and throwing all that chum in the water around so many people. I can remember when they used to throw all the fish scraps out near Harry's Fish Camp at Santee. One night a ten foot alligater came strolling up the path between the tents! Hav'nt been there in years, but last I heard they had started hauling off the scraps from the cleaning shed.

14. catfishon

catfishon New Member

State:
    NC
    the reason you cant shark fish isn't because it draws in sharks. heck everyone cleans there catch out there and throws in the rest. you cannot bring a shark up on the piers because it could be dangerous and someone could get hurt by having a shark on the pier. it says no shark fishing and if you talk to the owners of the public piers they say if you hook a shark you must cut the line. you cannot bring a shark up on the pier for safety reasons. but there are piers that allow you to bring up sharks.

15. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    You've also got the issue that if someone is properly equipped to fight a big shark they may have to walk up and down the pier many times fighting it and this causes everyone to have to reel in or get tangled. Also once you have started luring in sharks he other fish disappear or bait is overrun by sharks feeding.. This hurts the fishing for everyone.:angry:

16. Bigbaldcountryboy

Bigbaldcountryboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I'm new to this forum,but not new to fishing,in either fresh or salt water. The State of South Carolina PROHIBITS shark fishing from its piers. MOST North Carolina piers allow shark fishing, but it has to be after dusk. Alot of those records where caught before these laws were enacted.