Fishing in Indianapolis

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by sumunabeech, Jun 26, 2009.

1. sumunabeech

sumunabeech New Member

State:
    Ks
    I'm going to Indianapolis at the end of July for a business conference. I plan on ditching the conference at least one day, but I have no idea what's there or where to find good fishing. Any advice?

2. scootyb

scootyb New Member

State:
    indiana
    better bring your golf clubs man:eek:oooh:

3. sumunabeech

sumunabeech New Member

State:
    Ks
    To what? Beat the fish? I've got a Titleist lure, you saying I should bring it with me?

4. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    aaron, what kind of fish are you planning to target while here? if we can narrow that down, im sure one of us can lead you to a few spots!

welcome to the boc!!

5. sumunabeech

sumunabeech New Member

State:
    Ks
    I was planning on looking for Channel...but I'm open. I'm only going to be there for a few days and will have my own transportation but really don't want to travel too far from the city.
    I live in Kansas and most of the time can't throw a rock without hitting catfish...just didn't know about Indianapolis. Oh...and it would have to be from the bank, I'm not hauling a boat.

Thanks!

6. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC...your best bet is to fish the White River which you can access on the westside of downtown. I don't fish the river downtown too much, so hopefully somebody else can steer you in the right direction.

7. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Lmao, Sounds like you might need a back-up plan. If it's after dark and golfing is out, you could always hit a strip club ! LOL

8. scootyb

scootyb New Member

State:
    indiana
    all i am saying is there is very little bank fishing left around here and whats left is heavily pressured. if i could knock catfish out with rocks around here i would'nt be writing this right now.

9. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    westside of indianapolis downtown has banks for fishing

10. Brutom

Brutom New Member

State:
    Cumberland Indiana
    Here's White River in between the Zoo and 10th. Street in Indianapolis.

My boys and I fish there quite a bit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    You can fish White River Parkway on the westside of the city or fish in front of the GM Plant at the Dam.. You can drive all the way down to the bank there... I catch more Carp from White River Parkway though...

12. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Since you posted this in lakes and reserviors I'm gonna assume thats what your looking for. Geist res. is a superior channel cat reservior Theres even some blues in there- not sure how easy it'll be to find a bank spot there without trespassing on someones property though lol.... But I'd check it out if I was you.

13. liplifter

liplifter New Member

State:
    indiana
  14. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    :eek:oooh::eek:oooh: why would he go and pay $$$ to fish at one of scum lake to fish---they and commerical fishermen are taking public fish from public water:eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh: trust me do not go there bout those scum pond

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  15. liplifter

liplifter New Member

State:
    indiana
    You have no sense of humor,I pay 1 fee a year and it's for a ramp.Wouln't be caught dead at a paylake

16. liplifter

liplifter New Member

State:
    indiana
    What are your dates?PM me and we'll put my boat on eagle creek and drift some evening.I'm expecting a baby soon so I'll have to play it by ear.

17. Thron2112

Thron2112 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    How far is too far to drive. The local waterway is polluted but has catfish if you don't mind signs from the county health department warning of raw sewage. We have one of the worst septic systems in the country but they are supposed to be working on it??? I'm from Kansas and live now in Indy, and am interested in finding some somewhat clean channel cat spots here in Indy as well.

18. HICKMAN

HICKMAN New Member

State:
    Indiana
    What do you guys fish with downtown on the White?

My son and I are avid bass fishermen, but this year he's wanting to try for some catfish. I picked up a couple of heavy poles and basically rigged up a carolina rig with circle hooks, but have had no luck with a few catfish baits from wally-world.

19. Whiskerstalker

Whiskerstalker New Member

State:
    Hamilton County Indiana
    Nightcrawlers for channel.
    Live bluegill, butterbellies(mudcats) for Flatheads.
    skipjack & mooneyes(cutbait) for Blues.

20. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    prepackage bait sucks--buy a U/L pole and panfish hooks get bee mouth and caught live big blue gills

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009