Fishing in Indiana

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by centralcalcat, Sep 20, 2005.

1. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    I might be moving out you way before to long form California and was wondering about the fishing Indiana has to offer. I figure the best way to find out is to ask you guys.

SO how's the catfishing out there?

-Brian

2. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    Hi Brian,
    The fishing in the central to northern part of the state has been not so good due to a lack of rainfall and high temps. I live in Indianapolis, there was finally a flathead caught in the White River last weekend. I pulled the 52lb'er on my avatar out of Eagle Creek Reservoir on the west side of Indy, but that was back in May. There has been more luck in the southern half of the state, around the Martinsville area and south from there. Give a heads up when you get here and maybe we can meet up and catch some bigguns!

3. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    Eric,
    Thanks for the info. I will definately give you a heads up when I get out there. Right now it is looking like mid Feburary when I am making the move out there, I have to wrap up my school out here and then I wil be ready to make the move.

-Brian

4. HoosierPoleCat

HoosierPoleCat New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Brian,

Usally fishing here is awesome !!!! But this year with the lack of rain & high temps. Its been rough. But I guess we gotta take the bad with the good. You get out here we might have to hook up & wet a line bud.

5. Jroc777

Jroc777 Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    There are really several good spots to fish around Indiana that I am aware of. The White River is a great spot to catch flatheads, blues, and channels. Cataract lake is probably the best catfish lake in the state when talking about large fish. There have been several 50-60lb.+ flatheads taken out of there as well as some large blues and channels. Also don't forget the Ohio River. That probably has some of the best catfishing anywhere. As stated earlier Eagle Creek is also a great catfishing location. I'm sure there are many more but these are the main waters that I fish. With the exception of the Ohio River all of these areas are within about 45 minutes of Indianapolis.

6. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Yah central, there's pretty good fishing here. We're actually having a gathering this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes. We are going to have more next year so you'll be able to come. Take care, and Good Luck Fishin!! ;)

7. HoosierPoleCat

State:
    Indiana
    jroc all those are great fishing holes and ones that are close by. White or Catarac would be my 1st 2 choices. But like you said there are many more. Just save a few big ole boys for river scum & I :cool:

8. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    Thanks for all the info. I will be coming there on a visit at the end of October, meet the parents weekend. Wish me luck. Then if all goes as planned I should be moving out there (Norhtern Indiana) right aorund mid Feburary.

I look forward to meeting up with you guys and fishing some new areas.

-Brian

9. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    A little update for everyone,

I will be flying into Indiana 25 OCt for a week. if all goe as planned I should be coming out for good, right around the 17th of Feburary.

Look forward to fishing wiht you guys.

-Brian

10. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Sounds good Brian! Good luck with the parents! We caught some channels at the gathering but nothing impressive. My biggest was about a seven pounder. Better than getting skunked I guess! Take it easy and Good Luck Fishin!! ;)

11. HoosierPoleCat

State:
    Indiana
    central come on down bud. get the long johns on we going ice fishing bud :p then right after ice out get those cat poles out we going flattie fishing.
    You get out here we need to hook up bud.

12. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    HoosierPoleCat,

I look forward to fishing with you guys. I haven't been ice fishing in years. I will definately be out there. I am leaving to drive out of here Feburary 16th, picking up my g/f in Sacramento and driving out that way. Should be there by the 19th.

-Brian

13. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    have a good trip bro. if you make it to the top of the state drop us a line!

14. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX

I will definately do that. I think I will be living in Northern Indiana the way it looks right now, Valparaiso/South Bend Area, but Indiana is not that big so traveling I do not forsee as an issue to fish pretty much anywhere in the state.

-Brian

15. HoosierPoleCat

State:
    Indiana
    well when you get settled in bud we will have to hook up & get a line wet. Have a safe one coming to god's country....:cool:

16. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    headed out tommarrow to Indiana for a week.

-brian

17. zensurfer

zensurfer New Member

White River has been great through the late summer into fall. The month of August was the best I've seen in years. I live in Martinsville and many of my friends did well this year. Seems things were slow in the spring but as I said late summer and fall have been killer. Best baits we have found this season are 7" suckers.

18. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Thanks for the updates zensurfer. It has been pretty darn cold, and I haven't been doin much fishin, but when we were fishin in late summer,early fall, we were tearin em up on suckers (creek chubs)! Good Luck Fishin and you will have to come to some of the gatherings next year and do some fishin!!

19. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    Well i am headed back out from Dec 20-jan2 for a final trip before the move.

-brian