Fishing in Florida-Story and Picture's!

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by Katmaster Jr., Apr 23, 2006.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    We just got back from our trip to Florida, I got to fish Monday evening threw Friday night. I fished the Sunshine Skyway, St. Pete. everyday, and I fished at Gandy Bridge a little on Thursday afternoon.

Here's the report for each day fishing

Monday evening

The tide was going very strong, so strong in fact that I could not keep an 8 ounce weight down! I caught some bait very easily, they were threadfin shad, Blue fish, and other small fish. But with the tide going that strong it was pretty much impossible to fish, I tried though and didn't get any hit's at all from the big fish. So I just called it a night.

Tuesday

I got out to the end of the pier at about 5 am, nothing was biting when I first got there, when the sun came up a lot of very small Spanish Mackeral were biting good so I got out my ultralight pole for them. Later in the day on Tuesday the King Mackeral started biting, however I did not have the proper hook's and rig's for them so I pretty much watched everyone else catch them right beside me and I only got like a few Spanish Mackeral.

Wenesday

I hit the bait shop right before going to the pier and got the stuff I needed for the King Mackeral that a lot of other people were catching. I switched 2 of my pole's to King Mackeral rig's and hooked a King Mackeral after waiting about an hour, he hit a free lined Greenback (which is a type of shad). The fish got off after about a 1 minute fight, I was pretty discouraged but I did not let it stop me. Some people on the end left and I moved down there and took their spot, the end is usually a lot better then any other places. I got out my small rod and reel which is a Abu Garcia Ambassaduer 6000 on a Medium action rod, I normally use it for Striper Fishing. It only has 15lb Line on it. I put a nice live bait on it and tossed it off the end, patiently waiting for a strike......and all of the sudden.....BAM!!! A big King Mackeral hit! The fish took off on a very fast run and took about 100+ yard's of line in a matter of second's! I just held on praying that the fish wouldn't spool me or get off. Everytime I got the fish close to the pier it would take off on another blistening fast run, after about a 45+ minute fight I had the fish up to the pier. Someone came over with a Gaff on a rope, they missed with the gaff and it wrapped around my line a number of time's, this had me feeling pretty discouraged...as it looked like I was not going to land the fish. But wait, someone come's over with a big net on a rope and after struggling for about 15 minute's we managed to have the 22lb, 46 inch, King Mackeral on the pier! I was really excited, it was probably the best fight I've ever had. Anyone that has caught a King Mackeral know's how great they fight, but on a small pole like I had it was really crazy! The guy in the pier baithouse took my picture and said that was an awesome catch, he said that was a very big Kingfish for the pier, and that on 15lb Line it was even better of a catch! I fished the rest of the day but didn't get anymore after that one. I gave my fish to the person who helped me land it, well right before he left he came over and gave me $20 and said that someone had offered to buy the fish from him so he sold it to them and gave me the money!

Thursday

I fished the Skyway again in the morning until about 2pm, I went to Gandy Bridge to meet Big Country01 (a member on here) around 3pm. The fishing on the skyway was pretty slow until about noon. At noon I started catching a lot of nice Spanish Mackeral, and I even caught a Bonita, which is in the Tuna family, I caught the 2nd Bonita off of that pier according to the man working in the pier baitshop. It was an awesome fight and took about 15 minute's to land. After that I left for gandy bridge and met Big Country, the fishing was tough there, I only had one hit the whole time but I was really more into meeting Big Country then to the fishing part. Let me tell you, he is an awesome guy! Very friendly, and my grandparent's also met him and said that he was a very nice person. I can't wait to fish with him again. Only thing about him is that the only thing he would talk about is Nanner puddin......nanner puddin this, nanner puddin that......LOL:p

Friday

This was my last day fishing in Florida, I fished the skyway pier again all day. I threw a Silver spoon carolina rigged with a 3 ounce weight. I caught a countless number of BIG Spanish Mackeral and even had another big Kingfish up to the pier that got off right before we gaffed it. I was giving away all of my fish and then once again someone came up and gave me money for the fish. In the evening Big Country01 came fishing with me again and I showed him how a youngin' does it!....LOL I caught a bunch more of big Spanish Mackeral and Big Country only caught one....I tried not to rub it in too much.:p

I really had a great trip, I'd have to say it was some of the best fishing I've ever done, and meeting Big Country was a blast! I got a good amount of picture's of some of my fish and of the scenery. I now wish I had taken more picture's but I was pretty busy fishing.

However there was one thing missing on my trip....and that was the BOC! I was wondering what was happening around here the whole time I was down there.

Hold for picture's......I will post them in several post directly below.

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    First two picture's are from my King Mackeral, and third one is of a Decent Spanish Mackeral.

The first picture of my King Mackeral is the one that the pier took of me, and the second is a picture I got someone else to take.

More picture's coming......

Attached Files:

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    A few picture's of the scenery......

Attached Files:

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    First picture is the Bonita I caught, and the second is just of the sunset.

Attached Files:

5. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Way to go little bro. Sounds like you had a great time.

ST

6. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    way to go man! ive caught false albacore (bonito what they call them down there) and they put up a good fight and i can only imagine what the kinfs do! im stuck up here catching native 5 inch trout while your catching 20# kings ur lucky!

7. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    Great trip. Those king's are pretty wild. That size is good for smoking, the smaller (10 to 15)are great on the grill. Just cut 'em crossways int o steaks about 2 to 3 inches thick. Dip in melted butter, salt & pepper, and grill on high heat until the meat just turns white.

Dennis

8. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thank's, this was probably one of the best vacation's I've ever had. I really had a great time!

I bet it was a lot quiter around here while I was gone too....LOL

9. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Waz up lil Brother ?!?!?! Sound and looks like ya had a great time. Thanks for sharing your trip with us.
    Great pics !

10. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Way to go Zakk,
    Glad to hear you had a great time out there.
    I wouldn't mind a bit if you out fished me either. Just one great fisherman !!
    I've been out fished by my own kids many times and I don't mind as long as they are having fun.

Nice pics brother, would love to see more.

AL

11. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Big Country took the defeat in pride.....LOL

I really wish I had more picture's to share, I didn't really take enough of them. I was very busy fishing though.

From what I heard it was the best King Mackeral fishing that it's been in year's! I guess I was lucky to be there at such a great time. I hooked a lot more Kingfish that I just didn't land.

12. sairving

sairving New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Zakk -

I sure did miss you. Looks like you had a great time. your fish look great. I'm glad you had a great Spring Break.

Congrats:smile: :big_smile_2: :byebye:

13. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    hows this for nanner puddin'....(all i talked about,hmm)....

14. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Welcome back Zakk. Glad you had a great time! Nice catches you had there. :)

15. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    LOL! You have to give him credit for one thing....at least he didn't say you weren't good at fishing ;)

16. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Zakk,

It looks and sounds like you had a "Great Time" :big_smile_2:

("Good for you Buddy"!)

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool:
    (Shaina)

17. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Glad to see yea back little buddie. Glad you had a good time. If I ever catch you going that way same time as I go I'll hook you up with some offshore fishing.

18. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Way to go zakk glad you got to have fun on your vacation, and what do you mean only talked about nanner puddin, you telling me he didn't bring none with him, what kind of fishing buddy is that? J/K bigcountry. :)

19. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    Welcome back Zakk! Congrats on the nice catch, sounds like you had fun, thats great. :big_smile: This place ain't the same without ya ( alot quieter) lol.

20. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thank's, Big Country need's to be punished for not bringing any nanner puddin'! He could at least have bought the cheap stuff or something!:p