Fishing in East Tennessee?

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by Jamey, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Jamey

Jamey New Member

State:
    Pegram, Tennessee
    Hi brothers, it's been a while! Now that winter break has arrived, I've found some time to visit catfish1.com for the first time since August (it's been one hell of a tough semester here at ETSU). On the plus side, I've knocked out most of my tough classes and have only one semester to go. I'm only signed up for three classes during the spring 2006 semester, then I graduate. As such, I'm hoping to focus on more important things this spring, like fishing. :)

I'm a middle tennessee native, and normally fish the likes of the harpeth, cumberland, and tennessee rivers. I'm especially partial to dams and tailraces. However, northeast tennessee seems to be lacking in such places. For the last 5 years, during the school year in Johnson City, I've been content with my ultralight r&r and cold water, fishing for trout and smallmouth in the Nolichucky, Watauga, and Doe rivers. So far, I haven't seen any east tennessee waters worthy of my middle tennessee heavy cattin' gear :glare:

The Holston near Knoxville looks promising, but that's 100 miles from Johnson City. Do I have any chance of satisfying my big-cat fix this spring, or should I just be content with trout & smallmouth until summer, when I'm home for good?

If any northeast tennesseans are listening, advice is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks.

-J

2. drc3

drc3 New Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    Knoxville is probably the closest place to get a big cat. I would probably just stick with the smallmouth and trout, I do know they have some big striped bass up that way. I know it's a long drive but you should think about fishing the Ft. Loudon tailrace this spring. BIG cats, stripes, and hybrids!

3. Jamey

Jamey New Member

State:
    Pegram, Tennessee
    -Knoxville is probably the closest place to get a big cat.

That's what I was afraid of.

-I would probably just stick with the smallmouth and trout,

Guess that means 3 1/2 more months of baitfishing

-I do know they have some big striped bass up that way.

Would that be in Boone Lake? From what I hear, you definitely don't want to eat fish out of Boone.

-I know it's a long drive but you should think about fishing the Ft. Loudon -tailrace this spring. BIG cats, stripes, and hybrids!

A long drive, yes. But sounds like I'll prolly just have to make that drive. also, I can hit it on my way to or from nashville for spring break. how far off of I-40 is Ft. Loudon? :D

-J

4. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    Jamey louden is easy to get to going to Nashville. At the I-40, I-75 split at the west end take I-75 toward Chattanooga and follow the signs I guess it is 10 miles maybe a little more. I wish I could help you with closer places, but as I'm from southeastern KY and living in Chattanooga now I can't tell you much.

5. Knoxcats

Knoxcats New Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    I can knock about 30 minutes off of the trip. An excellent tailwater for catfishing is the Douglas Dam tailwater. From Johnson City, take exit 412 off of I-40 (Deep Springs Road) Turn left. At the end of the road, turn right onto highway 139. Follow the signs to Douglas Dam.

The tailwater has great access, and I've hauled several large cats out of there.

Definately worth the drive from JC.

6. Jamey

Jamey New Member

State:
    Pegram, Tennessee
    Nice! 412 is only about 7 miles from I-81, so that's not too bad a drive from JC I guess. Both spots sound worthy of checking out.

Thanks again!

7. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    You are welcome and hope you find some nice fishing spots.

8. tnmoparman

tnmoparman New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Jamie
    If you want to get into some good catfishing check out Cherokee Lake .
    Me and some of my fishing buddies caught some nice flat heads out of their this past year. And its not to far to drive for you.

9. Jamey

Jamey New Member

State:
    Pegram, Tennessee
    I've heard Cherokee has some stripers, but I don't have any firsthand knowlege of the lake myself. Can you recommend any decent spots? Keep in mind, I'm boatless!

-J

ps: Do you know anything about Boone? It's easily the closest to JC, but from what I hear at school, the water quality is... um... questionable.

10. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Jamey, it looks like you've not heard from anyone that knows your area.

I'm hear to tell you that there's flats in Watauga lake. I saw them ugly rascals before I knew what they were.

Get yourself up to Poga, pronounced Pogy by the locals, and stop into the Elk Mills general store. Ask for jug and tell him Bob the marine mechanic that used to stay at Val's place said to look him up for some catfishing. They all know me up there.

Then there's always the Green Springs Sports Center in Bluff City on the way to Bristol. Used to work there for Mike Gardner. Ask him about some catfishing or Bryan his top mechanic. They're bass fishemen, but don't hold that against them. They also know some top smallmouth places. Let them know I'm still kickin'.

Now get out there and fish!

11. tnmoparman

tnmoparman New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Jamey
    Ya your right about the stripers and they are already starting a earley run some of the local fishermen have already landed stripers 30+lb. I have to say the prime catfish area would be what local fishermen call hourseshoe bend you can see it from highway 11W. Great place to land a HAWG. I have to say I have never fished Boone but I hear good things about it.

12. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Boone's got it's share of stripers and plenty of Brown and Rainbow trout where the south fork of the Holsten river comes into it in Bluff City.

I caught a striper at the mouth of the river casting for trout. Never weighd it, but it measured 3' long.

Find someone with a boat.

13. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    Dang seems like Bob knows everybody. Well you can't go wrong with anything Bob says. Maybe I can look you up if in the woods and we can atleast have a howdy