Fishing in and around. Jonesboro, AR

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by Dungeon Bob, May 8, 2006.

1. Dungeon Bob

Dungeon Bob New Member

State:
    Florida
    My Lady and myself will be in Jonesboro seeing the family the first week on June. Would like to know if there are good fishing spots for catfish around there it has been many years since I have been thur there. I catfish some here in FLorida but nothing big as of yet.

I would like to take the grandkids out to a safe spot to fish for anything. Maybe I will be lucky and get a couple of big cats. I could get away at night for a little night fishing also.

I am a HAM radio nut also so I will be trying to work all the old World War Two Battleships and Submarine net on June 3 and 4th. This weekend all the radios that are maned though out the world will be on.

So if you know of any I would be inerested in hearing from you. I grew up in southern Arkanasa for 16 years before going in the USMC and then spending three years in Viet-nam. One of my old USMC bubbies was a big river ( White ) catfisher man. I'm going to put his name out and maybe someone in and around Northwest Arkansas might know him ( Harvey Rush ) lost touch and would like to know if he is still alive. I know that it's one chance in a million but what the heck.

I would like to know the active two meter repeaters and there tones if any of you are hams.

If you can help .. Thank You.. ( PM me with that info, please. )

DB

2. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Bob,
    There is some good fishing around Jonesboro. Lake Frierson is just outside Jonesboro. I may have mis-spelled the name but it is a Game and Fish Commission Lake. That lake contains Channel, Blue, and Flathead catfish. Just up the hwy from Freirson is Reynolds Park lake. This lake also holds good numbers of catfish. If river fishing is your thing, the St. Francis river east of Jonesboro. Black River is west of Jonesboro. There is also a city lake called Craighead Forest Lake. Then west of Jonesboro, is Lake Charles State Park. Lake Charles also has good numbers of catfish. I know there is good bank fishing at Frierson and Charles. Hope this helps.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Robert, if y'all are still in Arkansas the middle of June, I hope you can attend the gathering at Wilbur Mills Dam, which is the last dam on the Arkansas before it hits the Mississippi. It's scheduled for June 16-18. Yeah, I know it says 19th on the schedule, but very few people can stay through Monday. But if anybody wants to, I'm up for it. Oh yeah, there's an old oxbow lake right there at the campground that's produced the nicest catches of bream I've ever seen in over 50 years of fishing.

4. BigDuck

BigDuck New Member

State:
    Trumann, Arkans
    First off ---Welcome to the BOC ! Second -- I live in Trumann and work in Jonesboro. I am still trying to find a honeyhole around here , your best bet might be Craighead forest park for ease of access unless you'll have a boat then the Black or St Francis rivers would be great as Arkie55 sugguested. No matter which GOOD LUCK and enjoy our little corner of the world!!:big_smile:

5. Dungeon Bob

Dungeon Bob New Member

State:
    Florida
    I would like to Thank everybody that wrote. Getting ready to leave this week and will be there this weekend. Maybe be catfishing Sunday and working radio also. I will be on cd band while driving and two meters and working HF also. So if you see a Gray Thunderbird with lots of different antennas that will be me...

DB