Fishing in and around Fort Smith

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by Size23, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Size23

Size23 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Hey guys, I just started fishing for cats and absolutely love it. I have only had one decent outing so far though. I caught like 14-15 or so, but only 4-5 were worth keeping. That was at the Nature center which probably isn't going to produce too big of fish. I'm just looking to find a decent spot and wondering if someone could help me out. I fish from the bank and have been all around l&d 13 in van buren/barling with not much luck. I'm just looking for a spot somewhere around Fort smith to catch some keepers. I've had to most luck with DK punch blood. I have also tried shad, nightcrawlers, and chicken livers, but not much luck with those. Any tips on spots, bait, rigs, anything would be greatly appreciated. thanks guys...

2. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    I am sorry you didn't have much luck around 13. I fished it Tuesday, and wore out the blues. They were smaller, up to 6 pounds, but cleaned a limit and turned back several. All were on shad.
    I am sure if you give it another chance with all of those baits, you will hit them right. We have all been using shad in that area, practically all the way down to Dardanelle. Dip bait like Secret 7 will work too around the laydowns and trees out in the water.
    Just stay after it and you will figure them out.
    I don't fish any up in Ft. Smith, but I am sure you will find people on the BOC who do. They will be happy to help you out with info/tips.
    Good luck and welcome to the Brotherhood

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009

3. Size23

Size23 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I appreciate it. I'll definitely keep at it. It gets addicting... I just want to make sure i'm going about it the right way and not doing something that's wasting my time.

4. hirotamus

hirotamus New Member

State:
    AR
    Hi Size23,

I fish at dam 13 whenever I go to Fort Smith for a family visit. You can catch bigger size catfish. Last time I went I caught a few drums, 1 catfish, & 1 striper (luck). Your chance of catching catfish will increase if you use live bait instead of dough bait. Even though I catch more drums than catfish it's fun fighting them. The ones you caught at Well Lake won't be big since they're stocked fish and that's a small lake. Good luck!

5. Size23

Size23 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    so if I'm fishing from the bank, would the wingdam just down from the dam be a good spot? if so should I fish the calm side (downstream side??) or do I want to fish in the current?

6. gtacmadcat

gtacmadcat New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Hey i fish around lavaca on the river and do real well with dk garlic if you want i can show you some places on the bank there

7. Size23

Size23 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    That would be great. Went down by the dam again last evening and didn't catch any. Used shad.

8. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    fish the current below those wing dams. Use a 3 way rig with lighter line on your wieght. Also, have you tried fishing the Vanburen side, believe they call it Lee creek park, go down town Van buren past the courthouse, drive thru the chicken plant and hang a right it will take you to that park. several spots to fish from the bank there. Out of Kibler you could go to clear creek park and fish from there, back when i bank fished I used to catch good eaters at clear creek in the winter. Be prepared to loose a lot of terminal tackle fishin the river from the bank at 13. Also, across from 13 on the park side you can fish right next to the ramp, i have caught fish there, and up by the lock I have caught flatheads at night along the wall. . Good luck to you on your quest. Mac

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009