Fishing in Alaska!

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by jlingle, Jun 30, 2007.

1. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Okay, I know this isn't catfish related..... but hopefully you'll forgive me for reporting on my Alaska trip.

I arrived on Saturday the 23rd. After purchasing my fishing license and king salmon stamp, my buddy and I hit Ship Creek in downtown Anchorage with a couple of his friends from the Air Force base. I ended up catching a nice 18 lb. hen king salmon on a pink #5 Vibrax spinner that evening. It was the first time in 2 trips to Alaska that I've actually had a salmon nail a vibrax. What a fight!! It took me several minutes to get the fish in, and my buddy John netted him for me.

We tried Ship Creek again on Sunday, and John hooked up with a nice 22 lb. hen. I was shut out that day, but we had 2 females and lots of roe to cure for our Monday trip to the Kenai.

On Monday, we left Anchorage and made the trek down to the Kenai River. We had booked a trip for Tuesday to fish with a guide named Jeff King that Gene Chambers (of Katbobber fame) hooked me up with. Jeff was an amazing person, and a marvelous guide. Unfortunately the kings didn't cooperate at all & out of 4 fishermen on our boat, only one king was landed. Still, it was an extremely memorable day on the river with one of the best guides that I"ve ever met. If anybody ever plans on fishing the Kenai, I highly recommend Jeff. Book early though, because it's no small secret that he knows how to put people on fish. If memory serves correctly, the Fish & Game fellas said that 9 kings crossed the sonar coming up the Kenai between midnight and noon on the day that we fished. That's a horrible count, Jeff said the fish count is usually in the 800's per day when he's catching them on the river.

On Tuesday, we fished the Kasilof river with a young guide named Mike Wheat. Wow, was this a different story. We had about a dozen good bites, and boated 5 kings and one sockeye. If John and I had been more accustomed to the king salmon-roe bite, we could've landed 10+ fish that day. It's just hard for a catfisherman not to set the hook on the first hard pull.... I guess old habits die hard. Once we figured out that we had to let the fish take the rod completely down before setting the hook, we began nailing the fish. The trip was in a drift boat, a kind of advaced type of rowboat that our guide rowed against the current all day. Mike was one hard working rascal. He would row us against the current and let us get a good slow drift through a hole, then just row us back upriver against the current to let us do it again. That man must be made of pure grit and grissle. I have no idea how any human being could handle that kind of workout, but he did it and never broke a sweat.

During our fishing trip at the Kenai and Kasilof rivers, we camped in a tent at Jeff King's place, called Stewart's Landing. He closed and locked the gate each night at 9pm, which gave us the whole stretch of river to ourselves. The rainbow trout and dolly varden fishing was absolutely spectacular from the bank. We caught dozens of 2-4 pound trout and dollies from the bank. If the kings hadn't cooperated at all, the trip would've still been worth it, just because we had so much fun fishing for the trout. They were simply amazing. We had to meet Mike at 4:30am for our Wednesday fishing trip, and we stayed up until 1:00am that morning catching trout. We just couldn't walk away from all those fish still hitting us and fighting that hard.

Thursday, Friday, and Saturday we fished for kings at Ship Creek again. Both of us were skunked Thursday, but on Friday we must have hit the tide just right, because we both landed good fish within 30 minutes of getting there. John's fish was a beautiful fresh chrome hen of about 22 lbs and my fish was a blush male of about 25 lbs.

This morning, I landed my biggest king ever. It was a 37lb 3 ounce buck that took a #6 purple vibrax spinner. I was extremely fortunate to get him to the net, because he took me about a hundred yards downriver and swam through 2 other fishermen's lines. Everyone was gracious enough to reel up and get out of my way while I was fighting the fish, though. The fish nearly whipped me, he fought like a tugboat.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share a little bit of what I've experienced here in Alaska this time. I've seen dozens of moose and several bald eagles. There was a black bear in our neighborhood Thursday night, but we never could locate it. I snatched up the camera and we drove around for about 30 minutes trying to find the bear for a photo op, but it had vanished.

Hope everybody enjoyed the story. If John's computer will cooperate with me, I"ll post some pictures.
    On

Attached Files:

2. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    A few more pictures.

Attached Files:

3. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Enjoyed your story and the pictures. Sounds like a GREAT time!
    Thanks for sharing.

4. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Sounds like a great time, Jerrod! Thanks for sharing your fishin report and the photos.
    I have a dumb question about the second picture on this post -
    is that a female moose (cow?) and baby... umm... what're they called... moosling? :big_smile: Very sweet! And the fish are cool, too! lol

Have a wonderful visit there and a safe trip home!

5. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Sounds like a great trip! My wife and I did a little salmon and halibut fishing up there last year while on our honeymoon. Can't wait to go back!

6. CharlieD

CharlieD New Member

State:
    Lincoln,Ar
    Great to hear they are still biting. My wife and I are headed up there July 8. i Hope we can still find a few kings.
    I think Alaska is the most beautiful place I have ever been.

7. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I second that! My wife jokes that we will buy a summer home in Alaska once we win the lottery and spend our days fishing. What my wife doesn't know is that I ain't joking!

8. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    hey jerrod, thanks for the story and pics. sounds like yall had an awesome time!
    i like to hear about up there, because i'll probably never make it up there.

9. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Yep, that's a cow moose and her baby. They were about 75 yards behind my buddy's house on base. Cute suckers.

If you come up for July 8th, the fish should be biting well. Most rivers were just beginning to see the second run of kings & they all say that's the best run. On the Kenai, the 2nd run of kings is supposed to be when all the big ones come in. I guess you'll get to find out.

Thanks for the replies, we've had a wonderful time. I am excited about coming home tomorrow though. The catfishing was spectacular when I left, and I'm sure when the water recedes a little it'll be good again. I miss my wife and kids something awful.

10. CharlieD

CharlieD New Member

State:
    Lincoln,Ar
    We just got back from Alaska today..
    We caught Some Silver Salmon out of Seward. on a half day Charter. They were 17 miles out in the bay, but hey were hungry.. fast action. The two biggest were about 11 Lbs. The kings were pretty well done.. I did get to fight one, After about 15 minutes, He managed to pull the hook but what a fight. Several 30 to 40 yard runs and 2 spectacular jumps. He was probably in the lower fortys weight wise. We also had a moose calf cross the street in front of us. We were only a block away from wal-Mart. Alaska is truly gods country. I sure wish I could live up there for the summer months.