Fishing in a Tornado!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by SkiMax, Jun 15, 2009.

1. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Well I decided to go out today and hit a resevoir here in Denver for some sauger or smallmouth. I was fishing right next to the mountains and a thunderstorm rolled in. No biggie, we have been having them everyday for a week. I put my rod down because of all the lightning and sat on a rock watching it. I looked over my shoulder, back to where my car was parked, and there was a funnel cloud about 250 yards from me. I thought about getting cover, but the only thing available was my car, and it was right under the funnel cloud! So I just sat tight and watched it go over, it looked like it wanted to touch down several times but never did. It dissipated about 1/2 mile away. Quite an experience! I have seen three now this year out here, but the other two were small and farther away. One of them did touch down, but this was definately the most nerve racking! But hey, the sauger were biting so at least I got dinner! :smile2:

Sorry if the pic isn't any good. I snapped it on my phone.

Attached Files:

2. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    Geeze! I'm glad everything turned out ok!

3. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thats hard core bro. Congrats on your survival!:eek:oooh:

4. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    :eek:oooh::crazy: I just would have sh*t myself.

Glad you lived to tell about it.

Had three funnel clouds just a bit upriver last year as we were loading up the boat to get out of the storms.:eek:oooh: Some of the other guys just kept on fishing, lightning cracking everywhere, rain pouring down etc.....:tounge_out:

5. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Glad everything turned out ok and you're alright!! I've never seen a tornado before and i hope i never see another one!!!!!

6. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I'm glad you're safe, bro!

Around two years ago I raced a tornado home to ensure that my family was safe. I could see the classic wedge cloud reaching down to the ground from several miles away. Thank God, the funnel cloud missed our house by a couple of hundred yards.

It was an awesome sight watching the tornado cross the four-lane highway in front of our house as I turned into the driveway (on two wheels)!

7. 40oz

40oz New Member

State:
    Gun Barrel Tx
    You were lucky, just think you could have woke up fishing in OZ :smile2:

8. ncriverrat

ncriverrat New Member

State:
    Trinity, NC
    awsome pic, id been right there with ya man, ive been bow huntin in simular conditions, dad always told me son if your gonna b dumb u gotta b tough:crazy:

9. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i use ruby slippers for catfish spinner bait!

iw as fishing in a thrusday with tornando warning going on and hail coming down lol...in the city park LOL:roll_eyes::smile2:

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm glad were hearing the story first hand from you and not reading a sad article about you in the papers.

11. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    that picture of the tornado is as close as i wanna be to one man glad your ok

12. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    thats intense,makes me wonder what id do in tha situation (curl up in a ball and cry like a baby till its gone).... glad everyting turned out good tho

13. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    i remember that. i was there for that one

14. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    It wasn't that scary. It never touched down so it wasn't that nerve racking. Definately makes me wish I woulda majored in meteorology and storm chasing though! :big_smile:

15. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yea, Good for you,, That's gettin after it..

16. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    SHAT OR SHOT?:smile2:

17. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    That's funny, Max!

I know what you mean. We had a horrible storm at our house a few years ago (not the tornado posted earlier :embarassed:), with hail raining down the size of golf balls. We were absolutely terrified as I herded my wife and daughter to the basement and told them to stay there.

My wife then asks, "Where are you going?"

I said, "I have to see this!"

I captured most of the storm on video, complete with windows shattering and siding breaking. It was quite a storm!

I had to laugh when I looked around and found my wife standing behind me.

I asked her why she left the basement. She said, "I figured that if you are going to die, then I might as well die, too!"

Until people experience the full force of nature for themselves, it is hard to comprehend how compelling it is to stand there and watch rather than run for cover. It truly is an humbling experience to watch such an awesome display of God's power.

18. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I would rather see a funnel cloud go over head than golf ball sized hail! But you are right, natures fury can sure humble you in a second and be glad for the chances to experience it.