Fishing in a sand pit

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by jacobsuenram, May 4, 2009.

1. jacobsuenram

jacobsuenram New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have a sand pit that I usually fish that is about 25 acres and 50 foot deep with some shallow areas. I usually just fish for channel but there have been pretty big flathead caught out of it in the past and was wondering if anyone had any tips on how I could catch them? I will be fishing at night.

2. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Use live bait that are native to the "pit", and keep trying different spots till ya find em.. Catfishrollo has a great artical in the members library called lake flatheads?? anyway you will find it in there... It will help you out.

3. jacobsuenram

jacobsuenram New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Found it, thanks Steve.

4. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I like to go snorkeling in those big sandpits, the water is so clear. You can check out logs, rocks, boulders, trees and observe there cover. And you know there are some hawgs down there.:crazy:

5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I'm guessing that the secret would be to figure out where the bait is that the big flatheads will come after to feed when the sun goes down. Flatheads don't generally need real deep water. If they have decent cover in 10 feet of water - maybe a hair deeper if the water is real clear - then they are happy. They will come right up into very shallow water to feed after dark if it's quiet, so don't be afraid to put a good livebait right on the bank. Find where the baitfish are: are there brim beds anywhere? Where do the sunfish or perch or whatever hang out? Get some good livebaits - preferably caught out of the same pit - and put them out.