Fishing in a Jon Boat in the Rain?

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by Marcos, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Marcos

Marcos New Member

State:
    Texas
    Do you think it is safe taking a jon boat out on the lake fishing in a rain storm?
    Personally I'd rather be in rain than 100 temperature temp:wink:

2. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    I do love fishing in the rain, but if there is lightning I wouldn't reccomend it. If it is just rain I wouldn't worry about it:wink:

3. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I WOULD SAY,MAKE SURE YOUR BILGE PUMP WORKS!!!!! PEOPLE AREN'T WATERPROOF,AND I WOULD HATE TO SEE A LIFE LOST WHILE FISHING.

4. Wac M Trac M

Wac M Trac M New Member

State:
    Texas
    No worries there. As long as you dont mind everything getting wet. No lighting either. Once while fishing offshore we had lightning hit an outrigger. 600 dollers later we were full speed ahead and heading in.

5. wiskerkitty61

wiskerkitty61 New Member

State:
    texas
    We Duckhunt out of a johnboat. Sometimes in the rain. Its ok if, there is no lightning, you have a good bilge pump or a bucket to bail out water with. Just use some common sense and you should be ok.:wink:

6. jodster

jodster New Member

State:
    texas
    I had a tracker crappie style, we seen a storm cloud coming in . my brother suggested sometimes they bite better just before the storm. All of a sudden the boat did a 180 and I had 2 anchors out. We mad a mad dash for the boat launch, when we got there the waves were about 3'. I couldn't land the boat or it would have been swamped. I made a couple passes taking on water every time I turned around and the waves were pushing us closer to shore. All the while my other buddy was hollering to heck with the boat take us to shore!! That's when I hit a steel rail fence that separated the park from the launch, I put it reverse and the motor jumped up and locked out of the water!! The next waive pushed us to the bank , the following one swamped us!! My buddy was on the shore before we were swamped, me and my brother was trying to keep the boat from smashing against the fence and hold it as the waives tried pulling it out and under. Mean while my buddy was hollering forget the boat!!! I ask my brother if he was ok and I run for the truck, I hook a rope to it and about the time I got it dragged half way up the shore it quit raining and the wind was gone!