Fishing Hydrilla?

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Fishwhisperer, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Fishwhisperer

Fishwhisperer New Member

State:
    TX
    what do u guys think of a short leader under a cork right above the hydrilla where the ducks hang out with some dk punch?

2. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    I think ya got a good idea, fishin' there just might produce ya a good'un. The places I fish, the stuff grows all the way to the top, or there is none at all. DK works great under a bobber up close to the top. Try it under a Water Turkey roost, my buddy got a 19.9lbs. there under the turkey roost. He used a small slip cork with one small pinch on lead weight. The hook was about 1 1/2' under the cork.

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Fishwhisper, folks on Choke Canyon fish for cats below coramont roosts and do pretty well. The lake I fish, Sheldon Lake in Houston (closed until March) has lots of hydrilla. Alligators too. This past summer, there were only two open spots, one about 4 acres, the other 2 or 3. I usually suspended my bait...used mainly shrimp, three to 6 ft in 8-12 ft of water and fished the edges of the bed or the deepest part of the lake. This year, I plan on drifting it. Also caught a lot of 1-2 lb cats while fishing for bream in the same area under a float at 18-24 " deep.

4. Fishwhisperer

Fishwhisperer New Member

State:
    TX
    thanks, you guys are a class act! might go try some of the new info i've got in my peanut this weekend if the wind don't blow my boat off the trailor on the way to the fishing hole!

5. bluesbro

bluesbro New Member

State:
    tex
    water turkey roosts are prime fishing areas on any lake. They have moved their main roosting area on Lake Ivie. Will try to find it as soon as bb season is over next week. My idea about Hydrilla fishing is that it would likely be a great summer tactic, fishing right up against it and letting the fish come out for the bait. Right now on Choke Canyon the Water Turkeys are scattered during the day. You can go from roost to roost all day long catching two or three fish. In about 10 minutes it's time to move on to the next group of trees. Punch bait under a cork is the way to go. As soon as the action slows after the first couple of fish, you can put out a couple of extra rods. Fished on April a few years ago between Greyhound point and 99 bridge for 3 days. Had a blast. I have never fished this way at Ivie. The last few years I have gone to jugs and drop lines as I don't get to fish nearly as much as I used to. (Have lots of friends and family with great hearing. They can hear my fish hit the bottom of the boat from miles away. So I have to catch large amounts when I go.)
    Some of the rod and reel fishermen are fishing in 50 ft of water along the channel and doing pretty good. 2-3 ft of water will be good soon. One year we got into 6-8 lb fish up the Colorodo at the first bend past the Abilene water station. They were in the back of the cove there. (Early March) The lake had more water in it at that time. I plan to bait some holes this Sunday evening and begin trying some rod and reel fishing beginning next Wednesday after school. Water was 53 degrees last Sunday evening.

6. Fishwhisperer

Fishwhisperer New Member

State:
    TX
    many thanks bluesbro, water was about 50 degrees last time i went. i guess it is getting warmer with the 70 deg days. i see someone has a line or two out at that bend by that bluff up past the pump station. wonder if they are catching a bunch. i fish it a time or two but no dice. last time i went i set throw lines by that island going into the colorado and did pretty good on that tree line behind it there next to the 50 foot water. i was thinking of putting a burlop sack of range cubes and greasy dog food in one of them trees close to the island about fifteen foot down or so and try fishing about that same debt and see if i could get me a few on rod and reel that way. what u think?

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    A trick us old bass fishers use in Hydrilla.

Dont cast, take the tip of your rod punch down through it then release your bail or spool and back off.
    Or over grass beds or Hydrilla beds you'll come across holes. Use those holes to gain entry.
    In catfishing I commonly pick up enough good size fish by fishing the edge of the mat. The big fish know the little fish hole up in there so its common they cruise the fringes looking food.
    I actually caught a catfish on Hydrilla once.
    I had a hit , set the hook and reeled in. I had a cat on the hook and another cat had clamped down on a wad of Hydrilla hung up on my 1 ounce weight.
    I'll never see that happen again I'm sure.

8. nathan king

nathan king New Member

State:
    vernon tx
    i always anchor out about 20 to 30ft from the hydrilla and use a pencil cork and let it float up next to it and do it right and its a blast good place to fish for cats

9. bluesbro

bluesbro New Member

State:
    tex
    I suppose you are talking about the big island on the right coming from Elm Creek Marina and going towards Turkey Bend. I have seen a lot of trotlines and jugs set in that area. During the summer I set some jugs between the small island (sunken when the lake is full) and the big island near the river channel. Other than that I do not fish near the island. Turkey Bend is a great area to jug but you have to run your lines very early. The old man that lives in the house with the little dock is really something. He is a lot of fun to visit with but I'm 99% sure that he and his little boat he calls the scalded ape checks the jugs on a regular basis. He has not been in good health lately so he may not be out much. One day some of my jug lines were tangled up with no fish. He stopped to say hello and had four huge bluecat in his boat. He changed his story several times as he tried to explain how he got his fish. His boat broke down and I towed him in. He had 30 -40 big heads tied to his dock. To this day I have never seen him baiting or running jugs.
    Baiting a hole is something that the guides do on Ivie. They will mark the baited areas with a colored jug or boat bumper. You will see the larger rope tied to these makers so they can tie up their big boats to it when the wind is blowing.
    Fishing in 50 ft of water would be a great place to try. Unless the pattern has changed some of the regulars have been catching fish in the trees right by the river channel.
    I know a man that is going to take a trip with a guide for catfish in a few days on Ivie. I am going to make him a copy of an Ivie map and let him mark some of the areas that they fished. I don't intend on stealing some of the guides holes but would like to learn more about patterning blues on Ivie. You never want to stop learning about fishing. I plan to spend most of the day tomorrow on Ivie. The wind is supposed to be 25 mph out of the sw on Sunday evening. If so it will be Wednesday before I get back on the water again. Basketball ends Tueday so I can go any day I want after that.

10. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Good tip mark! I got a spot where I am going to try that "pole poking"!

11. Fishwhisperer

Fishwhisperer New Member

State:
    TX
    hey bluesbro,
    i think there is some bandits taking fish off. last time i went we stayed at concho and set those lines out. i've been setting them out in different spots and when i checked them the next morning i had fish on some of the lines and another spot had slime on the lines where a fish was but had no fish or bait? i was thinking twisted off but not every line in that one area? i try to think everyone is honest but there is a few bad tators in every bag unfortunatly. i know how much work it is to set out lines and stuff so i could'nt imagine stealing someones catch. i believe in "karma" like earl so i'll keep on living right and hope for the best! thanks for the tips on the baited holes i'll try a line there too next time. i allways throw out some cubes or milo so i will help keep the hole baited as well. everyone wins when they work as a team! thanks again, kurt