Fishing humps

Discussion in 'Carolina Catfish Club' started by Mac-b, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Some of you probably have not heard the term 'humps' relating to fishing. A hump can be a high area under water surrounded by deeper water and a high percentage of the time they are found in lakes and reservoirs that are man made. Humps can also be found in rivers where some type of debris has been deposited and covered with silt over the years.

A hump can be small (less than 1,000 sq.ft. or as large as 1/2 acre or more). You can find humps in your lake, reservoir or river by scouting or accidentally going across one or you can get a topo. map which will depicts these humps. If you happen to run across one, you will know it by the fact that you were in, say 50 feet of water and all of a sudden you are in 20 feet of water for a short distance and then you are back in 50 some feet of water again. The topo. map will show you the same thing and the map makers have assigned a different color to humps to assist you in locating them.

Bait fish are attracted to humps in their travels and catfish and other game fish will gather in the deeper water and slowly make their way to the top of the hump to feed. You could consider a hump to be like a deer feeder. The deer don't stay around the feeder all the time, but when they want to eat and the conditions are right, they come back to the feeder. Same goes for the species that you want to catch. When fishing a hump you need to also fish the deep water adjacent to the hump.

There are three ways to fish a hump and they are by anchoring down within casting distance of the hump or hovering over the hump using your trolling motor using a combination of down lines or drift rigs out the back of the boat or by doing a power drift with your trolling motor pulling your Santee or Carolina type rigs across the hump in several different directions.

Be sure and hit your man over board button, way point button or whatever button you have on your fish finder (sonar/GPS unit) to denote all humps that you fish and those that you travel over going here and there.

On my home lake, Lake Norman, we find that humps will attract blues, channels and flatheads, plus some of those trash fish, like bass.

Please feel free to PM me if you want or need additional information or clarification.

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    There is a hump in Lake Ft Gibson we found about 2 yrs ago and it has produced some good fish. It is only about 100' across, so it is hard to find even with a GPS. It comes up out of 45' of water to about 15'. That doesn't seem like much but it almost always has fish on or around it. Don't alway catch them.

3. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    well around 12 years ago me and wife set up on a spot 100 %%% what you was talking about in a mile stretch of river

going down stream theres a bend with 40 foot of water and some strucuture . my nephew pulled a 50 lber out of it last year .
    anyway past that about a 1/2 mile theres a big hump that goes from 30 foot up to 20 for about the width of a road or so then drops back down to allmost 40 again ,, and about a 1/4 mile from the hump is a old sunken bridge in 30 to 40 foot of water with omg tons of concreette and rebar and structure (( day time holding area for sure ))

so we set up river from the hump and casted so our lines where on top of it or atleast close .

in 2 hours boated 230 lbs of fish and 6 of them was flatheads from 40 lbs to 12 lbs

we even had a double with 2 flatheads on the same time ..

and caught a 36 lb blue with a few smaller blues

every fall this spot produces a flat head if ya hit it right around last of sept threw oct .

4. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Mac, thanks for that info ,i need all the help i can get :wink:

5. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Mac, I agree 100%. The humps/underwater-mounds are great cat magnets:wink:

I was fishing a 5 acre lake one day last fall and I was making long casts into the wind(with slip float)suspending live bluegills at 7'6"-9'.

The wind was drifting my float back towards me and it just stopped:eek:oooh:, I had thought a big fish might have grabbed it and was siting still. But as I tightened up the line it move and the float laid down and as I continued to move it slowly ( about 5' )the float started to stand back up again and then bottomed out at the desired depth I was fishing.

I bounced the float a couple times and it dissappeared. 5 minutes later I had a 13-14lb blue on the bank. Baited back up and cast right back out in the same area, same thing happened the float laid down and I pulled it over the mound/hump and soon as it stood up and bottomed out the float went down again and I caught another nice blue. This went on for about 2 1/2-3hrs and I ended up with, If I'm not mistaking around 18 fish off the inside of that mound 40yards from the bank:wink: All by dragging the bait over the mound and stopping it at the desired depth and bounceing it a couple time by small jerks of the rod.:wink:

That spot is protected by sealed lips:cool2:

6. Some of those trash fish like Bass.
    I LOVE IT!!!!!!

7. tarheelbluemark

tarheelbluemark New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    There is a nice hump in the mouth of the state park near the island. It's tough to find though.:big_smile_2:

8. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Great Info Mac. I learned about hump fishn on Lake Murray fishn for stripers. It also works for giant blues.
    While trapping in my younger days i learned that a fox will cross a 100 acre field to check out a lone bush or a tree for food.
    I use that same stadgey in fishn:wink: