The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Have you got to cast it yet?
No sir. I’m a bit of a wimp when it comes to the cold. When I don’t absolutely have to go out in it, I don’t. And I haven’t found an appropriate place, length and surface, to try.

A question, though: To start, how much weight should I start with? I’m thinking maybe I’ll start with a 3/4 oz steel egg sinker.

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Might take little longer to get this back on the reel
[/QUOTE]
I think if that happens to me, I have some scissors and another spool of line. 😀😀

·
Premium Member
11,011 Posts
GP, I would suggest a little more weight to just practice with. Maybe 2 or even 3 ounces. To me that seems to be a comfortable amount to cast. Of course that also depends on the rod you have the reel on. Is it a Medium Heavy rod? If so I thing at least 2 ounces to start.

D may think differently. We each have a preference.

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
GP, I would suggest a little more weight to just practice with. Maybe 2 or even 3 ounces. To me that seems to be a comfortable amount to cast. Of course that also depends on the rod you have the reel on. Is it a Medium Heavy rod? If so I thing at least 2 ounces to start.

D may think differently. We each have a preference.
Eight ft, medium action rod.
I do have some 2 and 3 oz “coin” (?) weights I can put on it.

·
Premium Member
11,011 Posts
GP I think for a medium I would start with an ounce to an ounce and a half. The medium would handle the 2 or 3 ounces ok but I have used the Medium heavy rods so long those are what I was originally thinking you had. So an ounce to an ounce and a half would be my starting point. Maybe 2 ounces.

Again, D might think a different amount would be better. They would all work but to me a little heavier weight is easier to cast.

You hold the rod in your right hand with your thumb on the spool. Then you reach over and press the dis-engagement button with your right thumb. You right thumb is still holding the spool hole you get your grip on the rod handle and begin your back swing. As you bring the rod forward to cast, you release the spool but keep your thumb just above the spool to add slight pressure if needed. It is a learning process. Just learning the feel is all it is. Start out with short casts and build your way to longer casts. When you want to loosen the casting drag knob, do it in very very small increments.

Hope you get some good weather soon so you can try it. Just keep in mind that it really can't be too difficult if so many others can do it.

tight lines

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
GP I think for a medium I would start with an ounce to an ounce and a half. The medium would handle the 2 or 3 ounces ok but I have used the Medium heavy rods so long those are what I was originally thinking you had. So an ounce to an ounce and a half would be my starting point. Maybe 2 ounces.

Again, D might think a different amount would be better. They would all work but to me a little heavier weight is easier to cast.

You hold the rod in your right hand with your thumb on the spool. Then you reach over and press the dis-engagement button with your right thumb. You right thumb is still holding the spool hole you get your grip on the rod handle and begin your back swing. As you bring the rod forward to cast, you release the spool but keep your thumb just above the spool to add slight pressure if needed. It is a learning process. Just learning the feel is all it is. Start out with short casts and build your way to longer casts. When you want to loosen the casting drag knob, do it in very very small increments.

Hope you get some good weather soon so you can try it. Just keep in mind that it really can't be too difficult if so many others can do it.

tight lines
That’s what I’ve been thinking. So many people use them, why not me?
And they are extremely popular reels. Seems so popular, some people call them “conventional reels.”

ODWC app shows 11 February to be a 5 star day, so I’m hoping it will be at least in the low to mid 60s, temperature wise.

Tight lines !!

Reactions: D schuerenberg

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I couldn’t resist:
5C5BCAEB-96EC-469E-A409-CB6AB811EF63.jpeg

569F3178-6400-416F-A509-48EEC157B79C.jpeg

I guess Zombies like to fish, too. (The second one here must never run out of bait.

These came from Fishin N Stuff.

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Since I AM a retired truck driver, I really need one of these.
DA9E8257-06C2-4000-9A01-DE206F55536E.jpeg

21 - 38 of 38 Posts