fishing hooks - How many of you sharpen your fishing hooks?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by whisker maniac, Jan 16, 2008.

1. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I know everyone has their own opinions of hooks to use but, what I really want to know is how many of you sharpen your hooks?? I know alot of hooks come pretty sharp out of the pack but that is usually just the tip. How many sharpen the hooks to where is like a knife all the way back to the barb??

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Kevin I used to spend the winter months sharpening all my hooks back to the barb. Now I use hooks by Owner or Gamakatsu and they are plenty sharp out of the box. But I still check each one for flaws.

3. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I honestly have never sharpened them. I use them righ tout of the pack and go fishing.

4. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    My Dad always sharpened his all the way back to the barb. Said it would cut through easier and get a better faster hook set. I have never sharpened mine all the way back to the barb but I always sharpen mine so the the tip end is like a needle and will hang on your finger nail.

5. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    I also have never sharpened a hook. Never thought about sharpening all the way back. I bet that it would make things easier when trying to get it out. Probably would save a lot of fish if it was done that way. But would it make the hook not as strong? Just a thought.

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I just use mine out of the box. I do have a bucket of used hooks Ill sharpen one day.

7. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use the Gamakatsu hooks and use right out of the pack...I have experimented with allot of hooks last year and by far like these for sharpness and strength...It is a really sharp hook right out of the Box...

I use the octopus circle in 6/0,7/0 and 8/0 and stay away from the 4x strong ones as they are just to thick in my opinion...The standard hook is plenty strong...I had about a 60lber on one last year the hook held up just fine...I didn't land the fish...got it all the way to the back of the boat and was going to try and hawg it in the boat by hand...Wrong answer

Way to strong...he darn near pulled me out of the boat and broke my wrist when it went into a spin... as it spun it's self in the line I thought for sure he was tangled and he was mine...well let me tell you it wasn't...he slipped right thought the line and was gone with the flick of a tell...It was a marvelous experience I will never do again...

But the hook was fine.;..

8. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Yeap i have a bunch thats went dull and i kept them.i keep saying im going to sharen them but i still havent done it yet.

9. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I keep a hook sharpening stone in my box. Comes in handy when one dulls.

10. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    6/0 - 8/0 Gamakatsu are the best hooks I've ever used. They are plenty sharp right out of the pack too.

11. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    Most quality hooks are pretty sharp right out of the package. If they won't hang on the fingernail, I'll touch up the point with my battery powerd Berkley hook sharpener/line stripper. I'll constantly check my hooks throughout the day. If any hook has dulled, I'll touch the point up quickly with the sharpener, khales, circles, octopus, and even trebles. 15 seconds of sharpening can make the difference of sticking one or saving that fish for someone else to catch.

12. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I used to use gamakatsu octopus circles, but now I use the Team Catfish double action circle hooks. My hook up percentge is now well into the 90% range. These things flat out stick fish right out of the package, Very Sharp. BOC sponsor Catfish Safari Tackle Shop has them.

13. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    When you sharpen all the way to the barb you dont sharpen on the shank side

14. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    I use the Gamakatsu hooks and use right out of the pack...I have experimented with allot of hooks last year and by far like these for sharpness and strength...It is a really sharp hook right out of the Box...
    "deerhunter4"

:0a27:
    I'm the same way - most of the hooks that I use are Gamakatsu & are very sharp right out of the pack.
    :wink:

Take It Easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship::0a23:
    Bert & "Deltalover"

15. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    I used to sharpen hooks as a matter of course back twenty years ago, but the hooks I buy now advise against the practice saying that it makes the hooks weaker. Read a pkg. of Eagle Claw Lazer Sharps sometime. Oh, I carry
    a little diamond stick with me on the water but I only use it to worry the point back into line if I snag it on something and bend it. I guess I just use the
    manufacturer's recommendation as an excuse to be lazy and buy a few new
    hooks between trips.

16. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    I play it by ear... if the hook seems dull, I'll touch it up with my Gerber sharpner.... I too have had good luck with the Gamakatsu and the Eagle Lazer's out of the package..

17. Rhinocat

Rhinocat New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I 2 like few said.. use outof box or pack but do touch them up alittle.. most are great but few have a dull spot here and there..

good luck..

18. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I carry a little diamond stick to touch my hooks up. I don't need it that often, but I like to make sure my equipment is up to my standards. Later Andy

19. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I sharpen mine as needed. Never sharpened to the barb. I can imagine it opening up the hole if you had to play a big fish for a long time. Think I'll stick with the point ( no pun intended) lol :smile2:

20. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    I sharpen mine as needed. I think a really good hook usually comes out of the pack sharper thanI can get them but I check them everytime(try to anyway) I reel in and make sure they can always dig into my fingernail or I try to sharpen or replace