Fishing Hook placement for cut bait

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by flying_v_64, Dec 13, 2008.

1. flying_v_64

flying_v_64 New Member

State:
    NC
    Hey guys i'm rather new to blue cat fishing. When you use these large slabs of cut bait is hook placement critical? Can you use a double leader and place a hook at each end of the bait chunk?
    What's your favorite method of rigging cut bait? Thanks :big_smile:

2. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    I use cut bait for fishing flatties. I just hook it once through whatever looks like the top of the cut bait. Never have to many problems with losing bait.
    :0a26:

3. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would say the most important thing is to be sure plenty of the hook is exposed. There is no need to try to hide the hook. I like to use the octopus circle hooks. You need to use a hook with a wide gap so you can hook the bait once and leave the end of the hook exposed. Good luck.

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I've rigged with the "stinger" hooks before when I use large (6" chunks) of adult gizzard shad, with some success, but I really do almost as well hooking up with a single circle hook, wide gap, with the point well exposed. I seldom take the time to rig a stinger hook anymore; in fact, I rarely use those large chunks of bait, having caught some pretty large fish on smaller baits. :wink:

5. Sonny Kemp

Sonny Kemp New Member

State:
    Tn
    Vic Wildwolf Products has some real nice 2 hook rigs made up.Should be perfect for that.They are sponsors and I believe pics of rigs are on their website.Slider rigs is what they call them.Holler at Pete and hell help you anyway he can.

6. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    If your fishing in current put the hook through in a corner one time as to not plug the gap and to keep it from turning like a spoon.

7. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If you use a stinger hook doin't for get to add it to your total number of hooks in the water, if you have all the poles out you can use ,you may be over the amount allowed. Different for each state. Latley I have been using long skinney pieces of skip Jack with a smaller stinger near the end.

8. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Just hook it where there's plenty of space in the gap of the hook so the bait doesn't block the hook point from doing it's job. Also, make sure the hook point is free of fish scales b/c believe it or not that will keep it from hooking the fish almost all the time.

9. flying_v_64

flying_v_64 New Member

State:
    NC
    Wes do you leave the scales on, or off when preparing cut-bait?:big_smile:

10. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Kinda weird. For bream, crappie or small shad I just leave the scales on. On the big shad like a foot or longer I scale the side I fillet and the side with the bone in I just leave the scales on. It just helps fillet the fish without so much risk of cutting yourself, those scales on a gizzard shad can make a fillet knife do some funky things:eek:oooh:

11. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    The first thing I think of is how far and hard will I be casting. I am primarily a bank fisherman and lots of times I have to really slang it out there. I prefer using heads for the far casts. I like to hook Bluegill and Skipjack through the eyes. I can cast a head with and 8/0 hook and 4-8 oz. weight about 75-100 yards like this. I have trouble casting skipjack steaks and fillets real far, the meat is just too soft and tend to fly off. I can however get a good throw off of a Bluegill steak hooked below the top spine fin. Anyway, if I am fishing out of a boat or not trying to cast real far pretty much any size of cut seems to do well but I always make sure my hook point is exposed and free of scales. If I use a large bait I use a hook that will match.

12. flying_v_64

flying_v_64 New Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks for all the information fellas. Great and informative tips! Keep 'em comming! I'm learning so much from the BOC brothers!
    :big_smile:

13. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I like to hook my cut bait in a fasion that it doesn't spin in the current. I like to trim off the fins and tail. Just make sure that you have alot of hook exposed.

14. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    other than the head don't you just cut fillets out?

15. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I use circle hooks exclusively, so I barely hook my baits to allow the hook to do its job.