fishing hit and miss

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by iviecatman, Jan 2, 2009.

1. iviecatman

iviecatman New Member

State:
    texas
    Tawakoni drift fishing poor last Monday the 29th. Had very few on the few jugs I threw that evening when run the next morning. Although one went around 30 lbs. The report from Holiday Marina said that the fishing guide were catching fish in shallow water down by the dam.

Ivie has been very much a hit and miss. Caught a 40 lb fish and 20 more channels and blues yesterday. Today one channel around 10 lbs and a chuckle. Maybe the coming norther will get them to bite a little. Visited with a couple of fishermen that caught 10 fish yesterday as well. Did not see any other catfishermen on the lake today. The big fish can be found shallow right now. The 40 lb fish came out of 6 ft water. Today I had a 7/0 eagle claw red circle octopus hook straightened and a week ago I had a 100 lb test cross lock swivel straightened out. These were on trotlines and took place in 10-12 foot of water.

Birds have been the key so far this winter water turkeys are moving around. They may have moved back up grape creek where they were back in October and early November. Lots of coots on the humps and around the islands. On still days you can see some huge boils as big fish leave the shallow water in the coot areas. Looking forward to the annual hydrilla die off when you can really get shallow.

Now planning a trip to Choke Canyon. Leaving all trotlines and jugs at the house. Great shallow water fishing now through the spring time.

2. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    The blues are biting again at Tawak. I had a little dry spell towards the end of december also. They have moved back in to the deeper water and seem to be holding there pretty well. It will change again before we know it.

3. texastuna

texastuna New Member

State:
    Texas
    My boat is in the shop and I wanted to take my cousin out to tawakoni. Do you know any descent spots we can check out from the bank. I know it the wrong time of your but i figured as far as he's come we could give it a shot

4. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    Welcome to the BOC.... I haven't fished Lake tawakoni but there are some regulars on here that know it well... hopefully they'll be able to give you some good bank information.

5. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    I would tell you that any windblown point that you can access will produce some cats. I heard at the bait store that last week some people caught 6 30+ pound blues on the point on the south east side of the 2 mile bridge. It is a pay fishing spot. I dont think it costs much to get in there though. I was told they were caught on cut buffalo that they bought at the bait shop. About 30 yards off of that point the depth drops to around 19' deep. I have never fished there from the bank, but see people fishing there all of the time. There are also good spots to fish from the bank at the state park, and a fishing pier at wind point park.

6. texastuna

texastuna New Member

State:
    Texas
    I know exactly where you are taling about. Maybe if this wind lets up by the moring we'll run over there and give it a shot. Appreciate the help.

7. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    We killed them on the point at wind point park today. Me and the misses caught 27 in a few hours. We caught so many,I put half of my ropds up.