Fishing Help

Discussion in 'LOCAL ALABAMA TALK' started by Buckscent, May 7, 2007.

1. Buckscent

Buckscent New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Hey guys, I need some help finding some cat's. I use to cat fish 20Yrs ago growing up in North alabam and fishe at wheeler dam. Now that we have a couple of kid's they really want to go fishing, and my best times remembered where catfishing and now I want them to get hooked on it. We went out Saturday and Sunday for about 8 hrs each day and not even 1 bite. We where at Lock 17 on the bottom side of the dam. Where do I need to take them????

Thanks

2. Buckscent

Buckscent New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Huntduck, Can't send PM's here yet

Thanks

3. Buckscent

Buckscent New Member

State:
    Alabama
    HuntDuck, you now have a PM

4. ShipwreckDiver

ShipwreckDiver New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Locks are similar to dams in that they are very often overfished, at least in my experience. Where I live there are half a dozen dams on the Huron River, and all of them have 8-10 people fishing from morning until long after dark. After two months of fishing alongside them and catching a carp or a couple rock bass at that, I finally wised up and moved up ther river about 300 yards above the dam. Now I routinely catch 10lb.+ fish every night beginning around 9pm and lasting until I finally run out of bait after midnight. I would recommend moving somewhere else if possible. Like I said, and I don't know your situation there, but those kind of places are overfished in a big way. Good luck to you...

5. Buckscent

Buckscent New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I agree with you 100% but it has been so long since I have been fishing I have no idea where to go or what to look for other than sitting at at dam. Now deer or turkey hunting I can go into an area and scout and find deer and turkey. It's hard to look for cat track's in the water :big_smile:

6. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    hey man,
    a local southern outdoors magazine. (great days outdoors) just put out a huge article about catfishing the tennessee river and lakes up there. i used to live in huntsville and everything i read sounded ligit. hope this helps. i will try to find the web addy for them if you want.

7. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    For loads of fun right now try fishing rip-rap and rocky shorelines about 3 to 5 feet deep for spawning channels. While I haven't fished Wheeler in a while - if I remember right try these areas. Try the south side along the rocks. Also go above the dam at the camping area and fish the still water in the slough. Rocks are the key for them right now through June.

Hope you catch a good mess of fish.