Fishing Heavy Current?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by petersoutcats, May 5, 2008.

1. petersoutcats

petersoutcats New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I think I have to change my tackle setup with heavy current.
    OK Pros let's hear your input.
    I was fishing a pretty good river current yesterday with up to 5oz no rolls, carolina rigged, with about 1 ft leader, and one with a float attached . I was fishing pretty big chunks of cut bait and heads. I think my setup was porpoising in the current and was wondering how to change it up and keep it on the bottom better (stationary) under these conditions? Or does it really matter? Does it help to cast further down river, or stay closer/under the boat? Maybe use bank sinkers instead, shorten the leader length, texas style, or a combination of these ? Maybe not fighting the current and drift fishing?
    Help!
    What say you?

2. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    welcome to the boc

3. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    try using noroll sinkers and take off the bobber in fast current

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    You may need a 6 or an 8 oz sinker. Aslo shortening your leader may help. Try and fish slack current. Cats like to be out of the current but right next to it. Look for seams and fish just out of the main cuuernt. Drifting with a slip rig would also be a nice option. You wouldnt need to sit on bottom and you can cover more water.

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    try an 8 ounce no roll or flat bank sinker. try cutting your leader length in half. try downsizing baits. i like a carolina rig for current, and in heavier current i will downsize baits. heavy current will rip a big bait off or mutilate it, leaving your hook point buried in the actual bait. if you are fishing holes you are damn near hitting the fish on the nose anyway every time you drop a bait. if you can locate and stay in a current seam, try a simple 3 way rig, which is a surgeon's loop where the loop is about 20 inches long. after you cinch down the knot and trim the tag end, cut the loop to where you can tie the weight on the short end, and the hook on the other end. when fishing bigger baits like whole shad or carp, you can snell two octopus hooks, one for the nose and one for the tail, and still have a spare line for your weight. this is a great rig. hope this helps you out.

6. catgetter1

catgetter1 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    This was good info fer me guys thankx, The Red is runnin real strong right now here in Weeezeeeanna......:cool2:

7. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    More lead, and take that bobber off.. The current will pop that bait up any ways.

8. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    I would use a 8oz no roll sinker.

9. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Like some others said lose the float you dont need it in the current and add weight. Use the float in slack ares if you want. I've needed up to 20oz of weight on before and caught fish but that sure is a tuff way to go.