Fishing Guides Q&A

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by wolfman, Aug 17, 2008.

1. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Got a few questions for you guides out there.

1. How bad is the pressure for you to deliver on any givin day?
    2. Have you ever had a clent that you couldnt wait to get off your boat? lol
    3. Whats your most embarrasing moment on the water with a client?

2. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    Good questions, it`ll be interesting to hear what they have to say.

3. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    I will start with question no. 3 first. My first catfish guide trip with a paying client was a dude who had fished for catfish all over the Southeast US of A, he informed me right up front that this was not his first rodeo. So, the pressure was on from the get go. He wanted to start off drifting for cats, which is my favorite way to fish. I baited up and cast out six rigs and then took my position to watch the rods. This dude says, Mac that is an unusual technique that you are using on postition no 2. I informed him that they were all the same and he informed me that I had not put any bait on that rig. Ofcourse I informed him that I baited all rigs and that I would bring that one in and show him. Cheet, there was no bait on it, just as he had told me. I felt like crap, but within minutes we had a pull down and he got himself a 12 pound blue. Ten or fifteen minutes later he gets another blue in the 16 pound range. We end up with over twenty fish in the 5 to 20 plus range and he was a happy client and has made many referrals to me.

Have I ever had a client that I could not wait to get them off the boat. Just a few catfishing, but a bunch striper fishing. I have had them to leave the back of the boat where I fish and go forward and lay down and doze and I would bring the fish in. They come to NC and fish stocked lakes and reserviors where our current fish (stripers) weigh somewhere in the range of four to six pounds. After they catch a few, they tell you about how big they are on the coast and bays up North. So happens when I book a striper trip, I inform them of the size of fish they will be catching. Then when they catch that size, they are disappointed. These are the ones that I have problems with and are ready for them to get off at the dock as quick as their feet will move them.

How bad is the pressure to produce as a guide. Until I get the first fish in to the last, I am as tight as Dick's hatband as the saying goes. In my mind I know we have 96% chance or catching stripers or catfish and a 50% chance of having a great day with some trophies. My once a year skunk kills me from a personal standpoint and I make concession to my clients. Most will pay me my regular fee and I had one to inform me that I worked harder not catching fish that day than if we had of caught fish. He was a striper fisherman and had travel all over the SE to fish for stripers and he gave me one of the largest tips I have ever received.

You did not ask what a guide likes about his or her job. Well, to me it is meeting new people from all over the world and chatting with them, plus it is great to see the expressions on their faces when they catch a trophy fish or a lot of fish.

4. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    back to the top. come on you all whats your story? lol

5. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Mack is right, theres alot of pressure on guides to produce big fish. Theres even more pressure on when you have a sportswriter with you.

One thing I've noticed is that some people won't listen. As how to set the hook or fight the fish. They want to do it "there way". And when they lose a nice fish they look at you like it's your fault. As for not listening. I tell people to dress warm in the winter. I've had people show in, tennis shoes.

Heres a helpful tip from a guide the "Captain is always right".

6. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i'm with ya here, Walter. i would love to hear those stories.
    went on a guided striper trip a couple years ago and asked my guide just that Q. i asked him if he ever took someone fishing that had never been fishing before. he had. i asked him for some dumb fisherman stories. he gave me the following:

he told one client ( a man, no less:angry:) to put the bait on the bottom and then reel up 6 turns......the guy asked him "how do i know when it is on the bottom?"

come on, guides, give us some of your memories!:big_smile:

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Come on guides, I too would like to know more about your business and what the challenges are!

8. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    #1 to start with we are under extreme pressure to catch big fish or a lot of fish some clients understand that fish don't always cooperate but some don't you are always thinking what am i going to do next if this don't work because you want them to catch fish an be happy so they will come back or recommend you to some of there friends. #2 yes i had a group when they came on board had been up all night drinking i don't care if people drink as long as its sensible not drunk one of them went to sleep in the channel going out one got sick i use circle hooks the wanted to jerk they drank all the beer before the one woke up so they had to go get more then the wanted to crappy fish with catfish pols bad day. #3 i picked up a group one morning it was two couples of older folks 75yrs or so we had been fishing for a couple hrs when this guys wife asks i think i will get some sun on the front of the pontoon he said go ahead honey i did not care until she took off all her close in nude you cant help but look after about 30min he told her she better turn over its hard to look at a gray squirrel that early

9. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Ron, that is hilarious. Glad I didnt have a mouth full of soda when i read it. :smile2:

10. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Grey squirrel!! LMAO

11. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Ron, sounds just like some old people.

Never know what they'll do. :smile2:

Thanks and Thanks to Mac.

12. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    That is hilarious!!! Laughed my a$$ off!!!! Way too funny! Thanks for posting the squirrel sighting Ron!:smile2:

13. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    A young college fellow hired me to take him striper fishing and he did not want to use live bait, just cast hard baits. He had recently purchased an expensive open face spinner with an expensive rod and wanted to try it out. So, we did a little bird chasing and after doing that we started working shoals and long points. Out of the blue he asked me if he could smoke, I said sure (I was puzzled, because I had been smoking all morning), then he said do you mind if I smoke my pipe, I answered no problem. He went forward and opened his back pack and filled his pipe up. It did not take long for me to know that he had filled it with Mary J. The fishing had slowed down and I was just tooling around using the trolling motor waiting for a striper to swirl the surface while he finished his pipe. Ten minutes or so later, several came up to his right and I called out for him to cast in that direction. Folks, you will have to imagine this in real slow mo. He makes a back hand cast to his right and lets go of the rod and reel. Then he says, man that was neat! In a heart beat I cast my bucktails over and caught his line and retrieved the rod and reel. Again, he said something like, man that was neat. I suggested to him that we call it a day, which he agreed too.

When I dropped him off at the pickup point, he asked me if I was going to tell people about what he did. I answered, no way man, then I paused, he smiled, then I said, not until Monday, his mouth dropped. :smile2: On the serious side, I waited over five years to tell someone about this trip.

14. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Must of been some good stuff Mac. LOL Maybe you should of took a hit or 2 and you may of thought him throwing in his pole was neat also. LOL

15. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City

Mac what time is it?

4:20:tounge_out: