Fishing Guides; My Take

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by WylieCat, Aug 24, 2008.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    People have different ideas about what a guide should be.

I am not a catfish guide, but this is what I have gathered from my many trips and conversations with them.

Folks that hire guides seem to fall into a few categories.

Meat Hunters
    Tip Scale: 2
    These folks want their guide fee in fillets! They are filling a cooler with everything they catch, and anything less than a 150 quart cooler is a bad day! It is not fishing, it is a trip to the fish market!! This trip was an investment, and they probably saved all year to take it.

Hole Hunters
    Tip Scale: 1
    These folks want to know your holes and where you fish. They probably will never hire you again, and that is because they will be out there in their boat next week working the same spots. These are blue collar working folks looking for the place to catch their next "bragging rights!!"

Good Timers
    Tip Scale: 10
    The best kind of party to take out. They usually consist of a group of friends that want to to have a good time and let someone else do the dirty work! Most of the time if these guys get drunk fast enough you will be dropping them off at the local dockside bar three hours into the trip!! They are usually higher income folks and the guide fee is "chump change" to them. These guys rank high on the tipping scale, and tip better when they are drunk!!

Students of the Game
    Tip Scale: 8
    This is another good client to have. While I call them students, they are not neccesarily young, but they are looking to learn. They have fished enough to know that the fish don't bite everyday and don't complain if the bite is off. To them it is more about learning than catching. They also know that you learn more when you are NOT catching fish, because guides work harder and pull out more "tricks" when the fish are not biting. They are of middle to higher education and income and rank fairly high on the tip scale.

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Not that a good guide isn't worth every penny for the knowlege that they could pass along, but for myself, I'll just have to put the time and effort in myself. I don't know of any guides in my area, and I couldn't afford them if there were.

If I were to hire a guide, it would be for two reasons. 1) To learn how to more fully utilize a sonar. 2) Learn the PROPER way to set up on the fish. Unless we are talking about Mac. In that case, it would be worth paying just to fish with him. I think it would be a hoot.

I catch fish, but I know there's alot more for me to learn. I don't fish competitively, and if I don't catch much...or anything, oh well, maybe next time.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Thanks for the insight on "people who hire catfish guides". I am going to say that you might have it wrong. There are not too many people out there hiring a Catfish guide who is not a dedicated fisherman. Remember that catfishermen/women (to be PC) are not your typical group of people and understand full well the challenges presented by the mighty Catfish! That is why they hired you in the first place!

4. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I've never fished with a guide.

I'd really like to, and could swing one or two trips a year, but none of my buddies can afford it, and I can't justify paying the full price for just me.:sad2:

5. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    WylieCat, Are you sure you're not a guide? :big_smile:

6. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    he is a guide in training some call them wannabes :wink::wink:the roundhill

7. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Shane, you missed the golden ring on the merrygoround as it relates to WylieCat's comments.

WylieCat nailed my clientele from my prospective. Half of my trips are mom and pop taking the kids out fishing. Some are business men in a nearby large metro. area attending a convention or business meeting and a fishing trip is a filler or a chance for them to get to know their superiors or underlins better. Some are large group trips, up to four boats, where an employer is awarding his employees for a job well done or a very sucessful year. Them there are those that want to learn how to catfish or fine tune their techniques. Two times a year, when they hold races at Lowes Motor Speedway, I have three to four regulars every year that fish with me between races. I block out two weeks each year for my NASCAR fans for their outings.

Now if I was guiding on the James River, Santee Cooper or some other large lakes or rivers which produces trophy fish, then my clientele would be different. I would have those wanting fish to eat and/or trophy fisherperson.

Striper trips are different, half of my trips are for people who want to learn how to striper fish and or improved their techniques. The rest are family trips and business men. Plus I have visting tournament fishing coming to LKN for a tournament and they want to know where to fish for tournament size stripers.

Brother Hilljack, I am glad you are home for a couple of weeks and I hope you do well in your upcoming tournament. Thanks for serving your country.

8. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "...he is a guide in training some call them wannabes ..."

There you go!! That sums it up well!! :smile2:

I have some good friends that are guides and I really respect them for what they do. ChrisBlue, LakeNormanBlues, Mudkip, and Roundhill all do a great job teaching and entertaining their clients. Each of them fish different waters, and each has a slightly different technique, but they all produce fish.

Guiding is more than just catching fish. You first job is to provide them with a safe trip while on the waters, and that is a major responsibility. Next you have to be an entertainer, especially when the fish bites are few and far between. Add to that some educating and you have a full days work ahead, oh ya...you need to catch some fish too!!

I have said this many times before; guides are just good fishermen, not miracle workers. What separates them from other good fishermen is taking on the responsibility and leadership position of becoming a professional fishing guide.

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Welcome home, Brother Hilljack. Thats a good post and thanks for serving our country.

10. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    "Meat Hunters, These folks want their guide fee in fillets"

Think about what your saying, couple guys hire a guide, travel to the lake, stay in a hotel, eat meals out, and that the same as going to the fish market. Come on.

11. santeefishhunter

santeefishhunter New Member

State:
    north caro
    WYLIECAT hit it on the head! I guide part time at Santee and always argue about not getting to fish tournaments. A guide is only legal to entertain, it doesn't mean he is the best fisherman. It doesn't mean he can make the fish bite! I have friends that can out fish me anyday and fish the lake 6 days a week. And I do stay in contact with them during the week which really helps me out. That's why they call it "FISHING"!:big_smile:

12. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    i have a 2 friends that are guides andfeel sorry for both !!! no way in he;; would i want to be a guide turn your pation into a job !!!! and 50 % of the time hard long days and very frustrating to say the least .

like most of your own buisnesses 60 to 80 plus hours a week if your going to make a living at it .

part time guide that would be different :wink:

alot go ons behind the seens, like finding bait, boat preperation and maintnance, endless phone calls , and rebooked trips ,cost of equipment, cost of insurance, advertising,boat shows. schelduling and keeping records , answering same questions over and over and over , on and on and on .

would drive me to drinking in a heart beat .lol

friends do that enough as it is :smile2::smile2:

hats off to you guides !!!!

13. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Ive never hired a guide, but would probably fall into that last category "student of the game".

14. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    You really need to stay on top of your game being a guide. That takes alot of work if you target two spieces like catfish and stripers. That usally means being on the water 3 days a week.

15. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Kevin there are plenty of tournments open for guides on santee. I dont guide but I dont feel that any guide have an advantage over me at santee or any body of water if I do my homework. I welcome guides to fish in tournaments cause it feels good to place ahead of some of the best fisherman on there home turf. Guides are no different than any other fisherman they just get paid to fish.

Oh yeah Welcome to the BOC Kevin.

16. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "....I am going to say that you might have it wrong. There are not too many people out there hiring a Catfish guide who is not a dedicated fisherman....."

Oh on the contrary.

There are many people that are not avid fishermen that hire catfish guides. The guides I have spoken with actually prefer these folks over the folks that fish regularly because they do not have the preconceived notions that more experienced anglers have.

17. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Poopy Stick .... :smile2:

18. Puddin Head

Puddin Head New Member

State:
    Grenada Lake, Ms
    WylieCat, I'm confussed, You said you are not a guide, did you stop guiding?.
    I seen you advertise on this site, I think it was last week. Am I missing something here?. :confused2:

Gary

19. Puddin Head

Puddin Head New Member

State:
    Grenada Lake, Ms
    I am sorry WylieCat I had you confussed with Tomhawk, please disreguard. My bad.

Gary

20. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    THATS THE FUNNIEST THING I HAVE HEARD ALL WEEK. HAHAHAHAHAHAH:smile2::smile2::smile2: WylieCat=Tommyhawk I like it. :smile2::smile2::smile2: