The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Guys, I'm going to post this hoping it might help someone out. I'm not going to get preachy, but hope to tell a story of a road that I have been down for a while, and I just did a 180. If anyone is interested in the gospel private message me, but that is not going here.
I like to fish and hunt; heck will try just about anything outdoors. If I lived in a different state, would probably not be on this forum cause I would have a fly rod in my hand. Anyway, back on topic. I do not make a ton of money, and have chosen to buy a house that is bigger than I need, three cars, (one for the senior in high school), you know the drill, and get the picture. I have managed to cobble together camo to hunt in from the surplus store, hunted with an old model used bow, fish with ugly sticks that I have acquired over multiple years with various reels; you get the picture and know the drill.
Well enter YouTube. Started watching, ...
Now I'm thinking and attempting to plant food plots, and needing to update my boat, have to have this, need to have that, should fish 3 times per week, need a bait freezer, a bigger cast net,... Well it started eating me. I was angry that I could not afford blank, or tried to build a copy of something and it only kind of worked. I got angrier and angrier. Throw in health issues and work stress, and I became a bomb, that would go off at the slightest tap.
I made life heck for my wife and daughters for far too long. Fortunately a friend stepped forward and got my attention may have saved my marriage. So, now, refocusing on priorities. May even go talk to a counselor. My senior will be gone next fall, and only have 4 more years with my freshman.

I still love to hunt and fish, will definitely get out again, but don't know when, and that's ok. Have a boat build over budget and currently stalled, and that's ok. I will finish that, some day, and will post what I learned, but now need to focus on some other things that are more important than catching an over slot blue. If anyone else headed down this road, I can tell you, keeping on that road does not lead to contentment, just loneliness and anger.

Hope it helps. Just be human, and enjoy the season of life you are in.

I'm not looking for sympathy, honestly just want to help a guy look in the mirror if he's out there. If not, fine, hope you all catch a monster.

·
Registered
Steven from Georgia
701 Posts
I feel ya Heath,
Its very easy to be sucked in to the world of envy. One thing my travels have given me is perspective. The average american is wealthy when compared to most in other countries. Even in places like western Europe. The middle class is well behind what is considered a normal level of wealth in america. It makes it easier to be thankful for what you have.

Sometimes, one needs to be reminded. To be grateful for the blessings he has. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
805 Posts
My dad once told me that "Life is a whole bunch of bad times....interrupted by a few good times. Enjoy the good times".

There was once a time in my life that I had been trying to do more than time and money allowed...those times where not good times. When I came to realize that I was creating my own problems, I had to step back, regroup, and put myself back on track, and in most cases I had to give up my pleasurable pursuits to take care of my priorities.

I ended up working more, spending less, and giving more time to family and home life and doing a lot less fishing, hunting, etc.

By challenging myself and confronting my priorities (taking care of business) I found myself with more time and money than I had previously, and, I was happier....strange how that all worked out.

I was once told that struggle is a part of the human condition...nonsense! When confronted with life's "problems" I take a different route. I dont accept that problems and the struggles that ensue because of them are going to control or affect my life.....I am done creating problems for myself!!!

When an "issue" rears its head, I treat it as a "challenge" not a "problem" and I confront that challenge with solution. I may only gain a foot rather than a mile but as long as I am moving forward I am gaining ground and eventually the challenge is overcome and life moves on. In other words...First things first and the rest will follow.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let's ponder on this college cash vs boat build for a spell.. View attachment 315380
Well, I worked to pay my way through college; it was Way cheaper in my day. Anyway, one semester I was all saved up a d about to enroll, but had been talking to dad about wanting to buy a pool table. Well dad found a pool table, and there went the college money. My dad brother and I had so much fun around that table. Dad helped cover that semester, and I paid him back over time. In the end the pool table was a good investment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts