fishing gear

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by moldo, Jun 16, 2009.

1. moldo

moldo New Member

State:
    NC
    Since I am somewhat new to catfishing, I was just wondering what kind of rod/reel you guys use, what type of line, etc. I would also like to know whether the rod/reel I have is ideal for catfishing. Currently, I have an ugly stik catfish model with a shimano baitrunner and 20lb mono. I am thinking about getting 30lb spiderwire; I heard it is good line. I'd like to hear everyone's opinion.
    Thanks

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    The rod and reel you have is a good one to start with and learn. The line you have on the reel is okay to start with too as long as you have your drag set right and not too tight. Just check the line frequently for abrasion and nicks and cuts in the line. Do best do that run the line between your lips. Your lips are 10 times more sensitive than your fingers and you will find the slightest nick in the line that way.

3. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yes, sounds like you should be able to do well with that,, can always check out other types of gear and tackle later,, If you want..

4. quadrunner42029

quadrunner42029 Member

State:
    NC
    20 lb mono is more than enuff as long as u listen to these guys advice ive caught several fish over 20 lbs and up to 50 on 20 lb mono and even 17 lb mono, my adivce is use a bigger leader than your main line this helps to protect from cuts scrapes etc, and another tip take your time or you will be sorry. good luck buddy

5. moldo

moldo New Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks for the replies. So, what do you think about the 30lb spiderwire. Also, what test should be leader be? 30lb? 50lb?

6. catfishwillee

catfishwillee Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    I hate ugly stiks for everything except catfishing. They work really well and can really hold big fish. Sounds like you got a pretty nice setup. For bottom fishing i use various egg sinkers on a 30 or 40lb mono main line and i actually use a lighter weight leader that way when i get hung up i only lose a hook because lead is expensive. But i also use heavy leaders too sometimes. Good luck dude!

7. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    the set up sounds fine as for spider wire i dont like it as good as powerpro i have used the same line for almost three years 50 # test powerpro i also use 30# pink ande line on three other rods and 40# cajuin line for leaders have had good results with both

8. kvillcat

kvillcat New Member

State:
    Kernersville, Nc
    Spider wire is fine but I prefer Power Pro. You will find it holds a knot better and is not as slick as SW. :wink: As far as the rest of your set up you will be fine. The nice thing about the braid lines is you can pack a heavier line with more capacity than mono. On one of my setups I run 80lb PP and it will put a hurtin on a freight train:cool2:. All the rest of my setups run 55lb PP.

John

9. cat'n around

cat'n around New Member

State:
    Vanceboro N.C.
    me personaly. im using a 6500c3 abu garcia reel spooled with 40lb mono, 80lb. leader( yes its backwards from what you would think b/c of cut resistance), owner mutu 10/0 circle hook, 6 oz. no roll sinkers, and a 7' med. berkley glowsticks. all x6.

but the rig you say you have there is nothing wrong with that. dont over tighten the drag and you should be fine. just my 2 on it.

10. ncriverrat

ncriverrat New Member

State:
    Trinity, NC
    ur line size should be determined really by what type of water ur fishing, if ur fishing open water with not a lot of cover, use a lighter line.i agree with dustin 20 to 30lb is plenty good enough, i use a standard carolina rig with 1oz egg 20lb main line and a 50lb mono leader, have caught up to 60lber with the 20lb test, after every fish always i mean always check ur line.if ur fishing heavy cover which is the best for flatheads, i always got a couple rigged with 65lb spiderwire and 100lb leader.just remember u dont have to spend a fortune 2 get sum good catfish gear. good luck man

11. karaep

karaep Member

State:
    Greenville, NC
    I like the Ambassadeur C3's as well, mine are all left hand retrieve model 6501. I use Ugly Stik catfish rods MH 7ft. All four of mine are spooled with 50lb yellow Spiderwire, a 100lb swivel, 2 oz. no roll sinker, 40 lb. Berkley Big Game mono leader and 5/0 Daiichi D84Z Circle Chunk Light Bleeding Bait Hooks.

Having said all that I will respool with PowerPro next time around. The Spiderwire tends to unravel when you cut the tag end, therfore I leave mine a little longer than I normally would.

12. catfishhunter2009

catfishhunter2009 New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Damn you got to love this site ! I mean everything I would have told you has already been said . So on that note get out there and get em every chance you get and good luck . :tounge_out::wink::tounge_out::smile2::big_smile:

13. The Flathead Reaper

The Flathead Reaper New Member

State:
    Grays Cree
    your gear sounds reasonable.....i personally use penn 320gt2's spooled with 40lb suffix high vis mono with 80 lb litre 8/0 gamakatsu octo/circle with 8oz lead......you would be surprised with the capabilities of this set up!