Fishing gear cabinet?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by DANZIG, Oct 5, 2009.

1. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Well, I am finally tired of moving my tools to get to my fishing stuff, and vice-versa. Not to mention rounding it all up when it's time to "grab and go".

It's time it all came inside the house but the little lady would pitch a big one if I just piled it up in a corner and/or stuck it on a shelf.

I am thinking something like a "wardrobe cabinet" with rod holders on the outside(s).

Has anyone built something like this?

2. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    Wow! that is a great idea. That will give me something to work on to keep my stuff together.

3. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Lawrence,

Great topic/question...I store all of my rods on the ceiling in my garage so I don't need a wardrobe cabinet. I'm curious to see what kind of responses you get.....

4. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    No garage yet, I am still working with 2 tool sheds.

And I am thinking all the gear, from lanterns, boxes, rain gear, waders, the whole 9 yards. I often "grab and go" so "one stop shopping" would be darn handy.

I am thinking maybe 2 x 2 x 5 with a bit of hanging room for waders and such, maybe small shelves on the doors for line and such, and of course shelves for the boxes, lanterns, and such. Stand up rod rack on the outside(s)

Kinda-sorta like the lay-out of gun safe.

5. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I keep all of my long, custom built one piece catfish rods in the downstairs laundry room which is located by the back door. I also keep my large catfish tackle bag in there. My lanterns, chairs, rod holders, bait ice chest, cast nets, smaller rods, and other miscellaneous items are kept outside in a shed. Once I get my shop built I will make a section for my fishing gear so I don't have to run back and forth across the backyard and to the house carrying things to and from the truck.

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I keep my gear in a built in wall shelving in a room of my basement that also stores my hunting gear. However, my rods are stored on the wall along the steps going down there.
    [​IMG]

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    There has been a few threads on here about this. One guy had his fixed where when both doors swing out. They hold the rods. Then the cabinet holds all other tackle.
    It was nice.
    Pete

8. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Well good luck to you Lawrance.... arranging everything makes it easy for someone else to grab it all.... are you secure with the house and yard?
    Got a "watch dog" that barks good?

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Lawrence good luck on your project. I have some organization on my tackle, but in this day and time if you locate it all in one place you can be wiped out, in one theft. So I keep my rods and reels in different locations.

10. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Also after my experience last week off a fire in my garage, make sure you have pics of all your stuff in the house an garages ,storage buildings ,i didn,t try to remember what you had is a pain ,being as i suffer from C R S syndrome . the fire was a lot smaller than it could have been ,have you ever seen a plastic 5 gallon gas can that was full of gas melted down into gas an not burn up completely ,i have now

11. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I store all my regular use rods in a corner in the front room of a locked house, near the door, and the other gear in the closet in that room. Maybe I should get a lock for that closet and store the rods in there too. For the winter I pack all the rods away in a circular rod rack in another room. I don't like leaving my valuable gear in the garage over winter in Michigan, too much temperature fluctuation tends to ruin things (I found out the hard way).

A cabinet, like the size of a gun safe, would be a valuable addition for a ton of the gear which could be stored in the basement.

12. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "There has been a few threads on here about this. One guy had his fixed where when both doors swing out. They hold the rods. Then the cabinet holds all other tackle."

I have missed those,, got a link??

I have a fair notion of what I want but there may be something I have not thought of.

"Got a "watch dog" that barks good? "

Watch dogs, watch cats. Shoot, my neighbor's Big, with a capital "B", dogs hang out here too. Sweety-pies every one. I don't know about eating burglars, but they intimidate the dickins out of the UPS guys. :wink::smile2:

Twixt that, and some other things I won't mention, I am about as safe as you can be anywhere these days.

13. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    When I was a kid we had a cabinet in the garage, on one side it was just open, and the other side had shelves. The rods were hun by L hooks and the shelves had tackle boxes. Can make it as tall as ya need, and as many shelves as ya want. 2 doors, one on each side. That may work for ya

14. ~Austin~

~Austin~ New Member

State:
    Texas
    Wow... there's been a few comments like this. That makes sense Mickey, but its sad that so many people live in environments where this is normal enough to worry about. As far as gear planning goes, luckily theft isn't rampant enough to consider very much in my area....yet.:sad2: