Fishing game powered by JavaScript

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by catman529, Jan 23, 2007.

1. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    OK, first I will say that I have been into JS (javascript), CSS and HTML for a while. When I got my first 3d fishing game (Pro bass fishing 2003) I started making my own, simple games that run in IE and are powered by Javascript and HTML.

My very first game is amazingly simple. There is an image I made of a fisherman holding his rod. Below him you click to select your lure. All it does is make a "click" noise when you click on a lure. Very simple. Then it shows a map of the lake you are on, and where you are. To cast, you click the fisherman. He casts, reels and fights a fish. Every cast is the same - cast, reel, pull in fish. The game randomly generates a fish.

Over the past year or so I have done another game or two. But they all are pretty simple and get boring after a while.

Just recently I started a new game, which I am calling Pro Fishing 1.0. As far as JavaScript goes, it is pretty "pro". I am still doing work on it, but soon it will be finished and I will put it on the Web for anyone to play.

This game runs in IE 6+ and Firefox. IE is required only to play sound effects. You click a target on the map and you are taken to a virtual body of water. What I do for the water is I set up my digital camera at a creek or lake and take a short clip of the water. I then take several frames from that movie and create an animated GIF for the water.

OK, enought of the tech stuff. How the game works - there are 3 different baits: shiner, crawfish and worm. You can choose Easy, Med or Hard levels of difficulty. When you cast, you can drag the red target to the desired location on the water and click. Once you have clicked, your line will cast out. To reel you move your mouse in circles, and see the green line meter move to determine how much you have reeled.

When a fish bites, a red indicator is shown and your line starts to pull out. You can estimate the weight of the fish by how hard it pulls. For example, if you get a dink sunfish that weighs 6 ounces, it won't pull at all. But if a 7-lb rainbow trout smacks your line, it will move off at a faster speed.

You have to set the hook fast, or the fish will take out all your line. You click to set the hook, then reel that fish in. Once you land the fish it will be displayed, and you can choose to either keep or release it.

The game has other features, like viewing you livewell in detail & printing the livewell contents. The line is fixed at 25lb test. In the next version of this game I will probably allow two or three different line options. Also when I started, you could not reel you line by moving the mouse. You had to click to reel, and it would automatically reel your line. That is what I call the "old version" of the game. When it is finished there may be even more features.

OK, if you read all of this, thanks for staying with me the whole time. I will post a new (shorter) thread here when I finally finish the game.

Here are some screenshots:

• A fish just caught at Mudcat River (old version): scr1.jpg
    • Ready to cast w/ target at Chinook Run: scr2.jpg
    ------

2. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Thats looks good.Keep up the learning and hard work it will pay off.

Also hurry up and finish that game so I can play lol.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I agree and me too! If you need a tester,holler at me!

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    man you are a brain thats neat

5. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    can you send it to me so i can test it lol. it looks like fun and its snowing here so i cant catch any cats! lol please!

6. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Great looking game. Keep it up. We need a good flathead game. Are there any on that game?

7. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    On the mudcat river there are channels, bullhead and flatheads.

hmmmm maybe I should add turtles.

8. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    All I can say is YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! I am extremely proud of you and your abilities.You go guy!!!:big_smile:

9. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    u got another test subject right here! from the looks of it you got a real game there,

10. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Matt - here ya go, I was just working on the Mudcat river. Still got a few more places to do.

Attached Files:

11. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    is the game done yet? lol

12. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    that dimand steel image looks familiar, i think i mighthave used that on a few things ive made. im kindda into the same thing you are but im hooked on video editing. ive made some nice videos and im starting to get good at it. what would be a nice feature on it would be if you could throw a cast net, catch your bait and choose what size bait you want to use depending on what size bait you cought. nice game, i want to play it when you finish it. thanks for sharing.

13. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    OK y'all, I am getting closer to finishing the game. Just the other day I was at a duck pond and got some footage for the lake. I angled the camera so that only one end of the pond would show, making it appear as if it was part of a lake. I also got a shot of the dam where you will be able to catch stripers & big blue cats.

When the game is finished and it is on the web, I will PM everyone who has asked to try it out. I definately could use beta testers, to be sure it works in IE & firefox on all computers. The only major difference between playing in IE and in Firefox is that firefox doesn't play sound effects. For me the game works well in both browsers.

Thanks for showing interest. Jason, I like your idea about the cast net. It would be difficult to get right but I will consider it for the second or third version of the game.

14. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    if its not to much work i would like to try it out.thanks

15. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    I will definetly bata test for you, i wish i could make games

16. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    i want to test! lol

17. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    would you just be able to use it like the normal casting just make a differnt grapic of the cast net going out across the water and make it to where you catch multiple smaller species fish not just one bigger fish? im not 100% sure how that stuff works but i think i might have an idea. but ill definatly try it out so hit me up with a pm when you get that chance.

18. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Tom I guess you will keep saying that until I finish! :lol: glad you are that much interested. Hopefully I will finish it by the end of this week.

19. SassyManxLady

SassyManxLady New Member

State:
    MO
    Keep up the good work!
    Sassy

20. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    YESSS THIS IS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!! FINALLY A GAME WHERE YOU CAN CATCH GARRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

I've tried making games before but never had the patience.....this is VERY COOL!!!!