Fishing from the bank

Discussion in 'LOUISIANA RIVERS TALK' started by jklm, Jul 20, 2006.

1. jklm

jklm New Member

State:
    la.
    living near new orleans i have been searching for a place to fish the bank of the mississippi that is kid friendly as well i would be willing to drive baton rouge any suggestion would be appreated thanks

2. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Welcome to the brotherhood Mike. I am not from there but just wanted to say Hello.

3. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Mike sorry I can't help you on that, but welcom to the BOC.

4. mullyden

mullyden New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    David,
    Welcome to the BOC! We try to fish as much as we can in the Mississippi. We live in Baton Rouge, but fish primarily at Darrow, which is just upstream of the Sunshine Bridge at Donalsonville. I have not been out for about a month now. I haven't heard of a lot being caught either. There are a number of people that fish from the bank near where we put in. Sometimes they do better than we do (maybe lots of the time). The water level is now about 6ft at BR so I don't even know whether I could put in now. We put in off of river road, go over the levee and go down the side of the levee. There are no ramps. If you are at the Sunshine Bridge you would go upstream via river road maybe 5-6 miles. There is a church on your right and the entrance to a stevedore company - Cooper /T Smith on your left and go up and over the levee. If you go too far on river road, you'll see a motocross track on your right. You'll come to a parking lot and most people fish downstream a couple of hundred yards. There is a road that follows the shore for a ways. If you fish there have strong line. There are rocks protecting the levee, and the current (which may appear to be going upstream because it is in an eddy) will try to hang you up. From the boat I use at least 5 oz sinker. More would not be bad from the bank since there will be tendency for the line to head back toward shore. I'm sure there are closer places for you, but that's where we fish, when we fish! I'll be out of pocket for a couple of weeks with an Alaskan Salmon fishing trip:lol: I go next Friday for a week so will likely miss out on both weekends locally. Need to do honey do's this weekend to get the yard pass to leave next week. Dave, please stay in touch and hopefully we can make a trip. You can see lots of posts of ours in Baton Rouge area thread. Note, we have this problem of taking pictures of just about all we catch. It's fun sharing them. Take care

5. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    welcme to the boc hope find a good spot to fish

6. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Welcome to the BOC, Mike.

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I don't know the area just wanted to welcome you to the BOC.

8. jklm

jklm New Member

State:
    la.
    thanks for info mullyden looks like i will have to make a trip up some time to check it out. I wish you the best of luck on your trip to AK. thanks everyone the warm welcome.

9. mullyden

mullyden New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge , L
    I obviously meant Mike to start my post. Sorry, jklm

10. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Welcome to B.O.C
    Brian

11. jklm

jklm New Member

State:
    la.
    tried the spot out yesterday till the rain started, i was there about 2 hours got two or three bites. dont think they were cat fish though, i was using worms and they seemed to eat it the worms as as though it was corn the cob. never really took a good bite.
    you were right about the river being down i could see spots of sand, in the rocks that look like the river had been flowing there at one time. Thanks for the tip on the area hope to give it an other try in the future