Fishing from shore in snowy weather

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by mintaka, Dec 10, 2009.

1. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    Looking at a thread about fun in the sun and snow prompted me to wonder if any of you have ever fished in the snow. Not ice fishing , but shore fishing. If so , what , if anything besides the obvious , would be different as far as distance , structural makeup , and time of day? Thanks for your input!!

2. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    good question im eager to read some responses to this one!

3. holliswood

holliswood Well-Known Member

State:
    King, NC
    I'd like to try that. I love snow and fishing! The only factor would be the frostbite, or some extreme waterskiing. Hold that pole tight if it's a big one :wink:.

4. festus

festus New Member

It would probably be a great time to fish, Mason. Several years ago a fellow broke the U.S. record for Striped Bass on a snowy day below Bull Run Steam Plant--over 60 pounds. His record was broken, however, soon afterward by somebody out west, and has been broken several times since. The problem is here it doesn't snow enough.

:smile2: I bet a snowy day would be great for fishing for freshly stocked hatchery trout. They are used to being fed pellets, and they'd probably rise to the snow flakes thinking they are food. :crazy:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  5. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    I dunno but you might wanna wear some spikes to keep from skiing down the bank into the COLD river :eek:oooh: LOL Better bring your own firewood too !!!

6. tricitycatter

tricitycatter Member

State:
    Washington
    Well i can tell ya here in Kennewick, (Washington State) we fish all year round in the Columbia & Snake Rivers. For those of us who do not own boats snow is just another minor inconvience. I went Steelhead fishin 3 times in the last 2 weeks, all 3 days it either snowed or had snowed the day before. Snow just makes getting down to fishin spots a bit harder, but it does help keep your bait & Monster Energy drinks cold, your feet do get cold & if you don't bring a chair sittin sucks, unless you wear snow pants (don't own any, but gonna get Carhart insulated bibs soon) I just got a pair of Baffin crossfire boots, 900g of thinsulate, (love my wife for ordering them from Zappos.com as early X-mass gift) & that does help keep the feet warm, but when yo sit or stand for long time the toes do still get a bit cold just not as bad. I also have fingerless gloves w/ flod over mittens & thumb cap.

7. tricitycatter

tricitycatter Member

State:
    Washington
    Aside from the inconvience of slipping and getting cold snow does not really affect my fishing. However when it gets below 32 & you are using braided line things can get interesting if you don't treat your line (spool) before the cold weather sets in, I found this out the hard way & nearly had to cut 30 + yards of braid (but I was able to unknot it cause it was froze). Braided line gets water soaked & thus freezes & does not spool up. So Now I soak all my braided line with liquid silicone (2-3 coats), I just lay my rod paralell to the ground (use my fence & gate) and spray it till the spool is soaked & dripping, let it sit an hour & do it again, I have never had the line freeze since. The slip bobbers, bobber stops, stop beads, & corkies however do tend to freeze on occasion & then your bait won't sink below the bobber but checking that before you cast only takes a moment & blowing on em or sliding them up & down the line breaks the ice out of em & back to fishing.

8. tricitycatter

tricitycatter Member

State:
    Washington
    Some may think that snow will affect the bite, some think if it is snowing the water temp must be low but I really don't think it affects fishing too much. The obvious is prolonged cold = lowered water temps, but belive it or not the early spring is when we get the lowest water temps due to Cascade , Rocky & Blue Moutain run off that feeds the Snake & Columbia.

9. shrewboy

shrewboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Mintaka, I fish in the NC mtns for some trout about 15-18 years ago when I lived up there. We had about 6-8 inches of fresh snow and the snow and ice covered about 1.5 foot of the surface water along the edge of the creek making it hard to step in the creek. My buddy just about took a swim getting in the creek. I don't think it affect the bite any. The bite was slow which I would expect in the winter. I think we came out with 2-3 fish each. It was very beautiful being in the creek which made the near frozen hands worth while.

10. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    I went fishing on New Years day. It was very cold. It was 20 degrees when we went. Then it started snowing and the wind picked up. Didn't catch anything or even get a bite. To me it is not worth fishing when it is this cold. The braid turns to ice and bait will freeze. That was first and last time for me. I'll wait until it gets in the upper 30s again. If you fish from a boat it wouldn't be so hard to locate the fish but you would have to dodge the ice in the river.

11. ncbandit75

ncbandit75 New Member

State:
    Monroe NC
    fished blewett falls the other night from the bank....had to be in the teens....rods, tackle and everything froze over....didnt get a single bite the water was super low though.