Fishing from a raft?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by doomz, Nov 28, 2006.

1. doomz

doomz New Member

State:
    California
    Anybody in here do any fishing from a raft. I just bought a sevylor super carvelle with a boat boot and I was wondering if anybody in here has any exp. fishing from a raft?

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    And inflatable is a steady fishing platform, but is difficult to paddle, especially if there is any wind. The wind is your enemy in one of them. It'll blow you around when not paddling too.

3. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC to answer your question,yes I have many years ago I went trout fishing in a raft. We were at a lake and as I recall it was very relaxing and fun.Now would I want to use it on a river a big river? I am not certain due to all the submerged debri.I have often wondered about those huge rafts that the military uses in the Ocean.They seem to be very sturdy but I'd have no idea if a person could even purchase one of those and I'd have to really research them to see just how sturdy they actually are.Seems like everytime I see them on tv they have a fairly good sized boat motor attached to the back of em. Hope this answers your question.Mighty glad you decided to join we are happy to have you so please post away!:big_smile:

4. doomz

doomz New Member

State:
    California
    thank you for the replys. I currently have a 25lb thrust trolling motor for it and I'm putting in floorboards to make it more sturdy. I keep hearing that wind is a factor when fishing from a raft. Would'nt a ancor keep you in place?

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I think that I would be fishing with some great big real dull hooks.Yep!I sunk the only inflatable raft that I ever had as a kid with a hook.NEVER again!I don;t think that I would put Catfish in one either.peewee

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    An anchor will help. Its best with an inflatable to have two anchors, one at the stern and one at the bow, opposite corners works best, I think. The trolling motor will help, but the wind is still the enemy. The Seylor has a pretty tough skin, if its one of the type used as life raft for sail boats and such. Keep it well inflated and the hooks should not be a problem. Most inflatables these days have more than one air chamber. If putting in a floor, use marine plywood if you can afford it. If not, either a treated plywood, or a heavily polyuretaned exterior grade will last.

7. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I used to fish from a one man inflatable raft. It was fun on a hot summer day. but I learned quick that catfish and inflatable rafts dont get along well as I was paddling back to shore while sinking.

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    U 2 and me 2.It would have to be tuff stuff.peewee

9. tmuenster

tmuenster New Member

State:
    South Dakota