Fishing Forcast

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Amp energy, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Amp energy

Amp energy New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Hello everyone!
    I'm new to your forum, and fairly new to catfishing. I had a question that I would like everyone's opinion on.
    I often look at the weather channel's "fishing forcast" page to see the best times to fish. It seems that it helps to fish for Bass and Crappie during the peak forcasted time; But what about catfish? Do you think the catfish bite better during peak times too?

By the way, this is an awesome web site. I've learned a lot here in my first day!

2. John6518

John6518 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Rob--I am new here too (past few months). There is an excellent article about this in the member library--give it a read. I have conducted my own informal poll here locally with the old-time catfisherman I have met along the Arkansas who fish for and catch the big ones. They fall in to two groups.

Some say LIVE by the phases of the moon, solanar charts, weather systems, fishing reports, etc. They won't even fish unless jupiter has aligned with mars and it's the dawning of the age of aquarious (showing my age).

Other faction says, "throw your baited hook into the water and if you catch one, it's a great time to fish." The best catfisherman I know--Louis--- embraces this point of view.

My own limited experience is I caught by biggest flathead to date just before a tornado hit within one half mile of where I was fishing so I try to get out before major storms (but home before they hit).

Like most things in life, I suspect the truth is somewhere in between the two positions above.

John

3. Amp energy

Amp energy New Member

State:
    Alabama
    John, Thanks for the reply. Have a great day!

Rob

4. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Lol - I check the weather channel's online fishing forecast. I don't lend much credence to it, because I've had bad days on their good forecasts and good days on their bad forecasts.

I've caught fish just before and during a storm, and had the biggest fish ever on my line hit moments before a t-storm (he got off). Then I've had plenty of days where I set out in overcast weather to not even get a nibble.

I am pretty much enrolled now in the just go fishing school.:smile2:

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Rob, welcome to the BOC! I'm not sure about those lunar phases and peak fishing times, but it does seem like the cats hit better during certain parts of the day. Now, I'm talking about during the day, not dawn & dusk, when you'd expect the fishing to be better (and is); seems like I'll go along for an hour or maybe even two and catch only a few fish, then suddenly I'll catch half a dozen within 15 or 20 minutes. Of course, since blues run in schools during the hot summer, it could just be the result of whether or not I encounter a school.
    The one thing I can always count on is the old saying, "Wind from the east, fish bite least." I've never had a great day of fishing when there was a good east wind. There's another old wives' tale that thunder will cause catfish to stop biting. I've had times when the bite stopped for an hour or hour and a half after some big thunder, but on the other hand, I've had them bite big time during and right after thunder. Maybe the answer is 'sometimes'.
    Regardless, if I have a chance to get out on the water safely, I'm going to give it a try. As was said earlier, the best time to go fishing is whenever you can.

6. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    welcome too the BOC amp-energy .

7. FlatCatMan

FlatCatMan New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC. I have my own view on this. I don't pay attention to reports like that. I know for a FACT that I'm not going to catch a fish while I am watching TV or mowing the lawn. I would rather go out and give it a try and if I don't catch anything, at least I went and had some time to relax.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Rob Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. The best time to go fishing is when its convenient for you. " Any day fishing is better than a day at work."