fishing forbes lake

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by switchback, Jul 6, 2008.

1. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I just spent thursday through saturday at forbes and caught a lot of fish. I really didnt catch any nice fish all seven inches and up to a about two pounds. But we caught our limit quickly and every time out. Also caught the stripers biting and had some fun they wer 15 to 20 inches long. Any suggestions on what to do for bigger fish next time out?

2. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    as far as bigger fish i would first ask, what kind of bait are you using? livers or stinkbait usually catch smaller fish and shad and cut bluegill and stuff catches bigger ones

3. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I was using liver and shad plus nightcrawlers in the rain

4. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey Brother,
    how are you first of all...As far as catching the bigger fish in forbes...Well lets put it like this...the big cats in forbes are few and far between...I have fished that lake very hard and put my time in out there...I have talked to several locals and seems as though the stock on the lake is between 1-5 lbs average...A big catfish on that lake is 10lbs...the locals say there are some big cats that have been put in the lake but brother I personally have never seen nothing besides a channel cat come from that lake...I have been told there is flats in it but never seen one caught or even heard of anyone catching one...It is a beautiful lake and I have always limited out on channels and it is a great lake for crappie and strippers...

If you wanna put a nice fish in the boat check out the Kaskaskia,Ohio,Mississippi River or Baldwin...Trust me I am not a pro but your average fish in these areas range in the 7-10 lb range with fish being caught in the 15 - 50 lb range being caught often...

I hope this helps...

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    sounds like a great trip, congrats and thanks for sharing

6. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey that helps me out a lot cause I can usually bring in a decent fish but i couldnt find them there but it was my first time in a boat on forbes. As far as the rivers go my boat is a little small to put on the river to me. maybe me and paul (lilkat) can make some time and make a trip. This is way off the subject but I caught a 7 lb 4 oz largemouth yesterday. Thanks All