Fishing for Turtles on rod and reel

Discussion in 'Turtle Talk' started by bigal1, Oct 26, 2005.

1. bigal1

bigal1 New Member

State:
    huntsville alabama
    is there a way that you can catch turtles on rod and reel...on purpose...not by accdent

2. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    if you see one in the water you can catch it with cut bait or worms. i dont know of a way to pattern them bro. they just bite on my hooks from time to time. alot of people put bush hooks,baskets or trot lines out for them. i dont know of any rodnreel turtle hunters myself,they dont fight very hard. maybe somone else can give you some tips though. good luck brother bigal1.

3. Mathersm

Mathersm New Member

State:
    Darbydale, Ohio
    Come fish the creek out by my house with cut bait. Youll catch snappers evertime. I had to quit using cut bait there cause the turtles always got there before the cats could.

4. willisjj

willisjj Guest

When I was a kid we used to just stick a hotdog on a hook and look for a turtle head poking out of the water. We would cast as close as we could with a bobber on and it never failed, that turtles head would go under and within a couple of minutes you would see that cork start slowly taking off. It was something to do when we were bored and the fish weren't biting. They ain't hard to catch, they will bite about anything, but like was said before, the cutbait is probably about the best, but any kind of meat or hotdogs will work. I have never messed with any of the traps but may one of these days.

5. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Not having caught many turtles in my life, I recommend Swampy to answer this one. He has caught more turtles in one night, than anyone I've ever known. LOL and it wasn't on purpose. Y'all know what an alligator turtle is?

I love turtles. I have never eaten turtle, unless Mom or Dad cooked it up when I was small and I didn't know it. I used to have a neighbor that had a pet turtle before they outlawed them years ago. It fascinated me as a child. Let's see if I can find a pic of a turtle Swampy caught that night a couple of years back.

[​IMG]

6. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    OK Sweetheart don't start with the turtle catching thing here.

Honey just remember I'm the only man that can catch turtles two at a time. LOL LOL LOL

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    cutbait or liver. if there there thell eat it. tregle hooks work well if ya plan eating them.

8. coolbig2

coolbig2 New Member

State:
    Greenville, SC
    Ive always loved hooking into one of the 50lbers when Im carp fishing. I might throw out some chum just for them and catch and release turtles. Been a while since I posted on here.

9. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    I've landed so many turtles it's not even funny. I never have set out to catch them it just happens. However I can tell you this much,if I fish about 2-4 inches off the bottom with chicken livers I'm bouned to catch a turtle or two every trip. Hope that helps,good luck.

10. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Hey Coolbig2, Glad to see you posting again Brother!!! Where have you been???

11. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    LoL, I fished for turtles(snappers) my whole life. I'd take a stiff rod with a mid sized treble hook, and a float(set no more than a foot deep). I'd go to my backwaters, sit down, open a can of sardines, drain the oil into the water, eat my sardines. I'd take a coffee can full of nice sized chunks of beef kidney or chicken gizzards (fresh, not rotten)that were presoaked in garlic powder. Once i take the lid off, i just wait a few minutes. I dont waste much time looking upwind, i always lookdownwind. Ill usually drop a line real close to the bank in front of the tub of bait, then ill go huntin downwind. I walk fairly slow and look for those two nostrils (the big ones only stick their noses out of the water, after so long, u just know what to look for and what ur lookn at). If i spot one, I throw 10feet upwind of it. Its only a matter of a minute or so and hes got it. when he takes the bobber down, and it just sits there suspended under water. I lift the rod firmly, but slowly and the fight is on..He'll usually hold to the bottom trying to back up. once i get him in close enough i hold the rod in my left hand and away from me, then i reach around with my right hand and grab the tailand drag him onto the bank. From a jonboat, i just park the boat in the weeds and throw into open water. when iget one on i just let the boat drift til im over him then i get him up and tail, or net him....hope this helps...Bream heads work well also, i just stay away from softer baits because the little ones will drive u nuts... hope this helps

12. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    the only problem fishing for turtles is that there on top of the food chain once they mature unless theres gators around so fishing for them is like fishing for a muskie or pike or even a large flatthead they are far between each of them so theres enough prey for them. especialy up north where i am i dont see many turtles and if i do there basking in the sun, never caught one with a rod just my hands

13. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Mr Phatkat,

I've never fished for turtles but your post is very interesting.

14. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    Yeah, im findin out a lot about how "unusual" i grew up, lately..lol

15. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    in our neck of the wood s is to make 'em think you're fishin' for flatheads!! :cursing:

16. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    'Aint that the truth.
    I hear BOC mbr FLATHUNTER is a master turtle catcher! :p

17. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I remember a night where H20 Mellon caught a snapper, then decided he was gonna reach close the the turtles mouth and try to get the hook out, the turtle took a big ole swipe at him and about scared him to death. :D

18. flathead willy

flathead willy New Member

State:
    Madison, MS
    If your just tryin to catch sliders or stinkpots I use the biggest neon bobber in my tackle box. I've had that bobber for years and it'll always catch those local pond turtles. I don't know why they're attracted to it but you just set the hook real high and throw her out there.

19. Thomas P. Conley

Thomas P. Conley New Member

State:
    Copperas Cove,TX.
    I remember once fishing out of a home made boat with a friend who had anchored the boat when my line started to go under the boat and I thought he was moving the boat and I was snagged up. My rod started to bend under the boat and snap there went my rod broken in half. My friend just smiled and said big turtle. I was ticked because I was fishing for crappie with a new rod. Some of the snapping turtles where we use to fish got huge around 20-30 pounders and good eating. Mostly turtle soup. We would go out at night with 22's and spotlights and then sell the turtles to local bars that made good soup. Some times we just gave them to the bar owners if they would save some turtle soup for us. Ah youth.

20. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    very strong 1/0 hook with a wire leader and a chunk of pork. found out pork works best. i set out turtle lines in the summer to catch them for some guys i work with. i love turtle but cleaning them is too much of a hassle to me. if you want softshells theyre a little harder. they tend to barely grab your bait and try to sneak off. when we are on the river there are those nights that the turtles go bezerk(you know,when you keep gettin runs but never hooking anything) and i have to break out my "turtle buster" rig. take a hook,about a #2, bait it with a small chunk of something then attach about a 6 inch tag line to it, add a medium sized trebble hook to the end of the tag line. odds are when you get a run the turtle wont have the hook in his mouthbut that trebble will drag underneath and when you jerk youll hook his underside, ive had about a 95% hook rate with this rig on softshells.