Fishing for the big one newbie questions

Discussion in 'LOCAL ALABAMA TALK' started by Raven, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Raven

Raven New Member

State:
    alabama
    I getting ready to be fishing for the "Big One"

My new rod and reel should be in by my birthday <thanks to my brother>.

1.How much weight should i use for deep running water like the hooch?

2oz 4oz on a 20lb test line using cut bait? The area i scouted last weekend was 20 to 40 ft deep. We will be parked <going by boat> on 20ft deep water near docks and the water drops deep fast after that. <this is the main channel>.

2. Ohh yeah how big should the hook be?

3. I want to use a slip bobber good idea or no?

O<bobber>_____leader with bait < 18 inch leader >_______3ft line then weight

did that make sense?

4. Should replace the line for something bigger?

thanks

Dee Raven

2. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC. You will find a bunch of good info and a lot of good people as well. I personally don't like to use anything but spiderwire or power pro. And 50 lbs is the lightest i will go on most of my poles. You never know when the big one will bite. I do have some lighter set up for channel cats. What size fish are you targeting? As for the bobber technique i have never tried that. I just use egg sinker set ups. And the hook and bait size is depending on the size fish i am targeting as well. Smaller hooks for channels. And 5- 8/0 hooks for blues and flats. I am going to start using 18/0 to 20/0 hooks and big baits on 1 of my poles every outing from now on and see if i have any luck with that. Sort of culling out the smaller fish. Well good luck to you, and catch a big one take a picture and let him go. Then post the pics for us to see. SGT Shorey over and out

3. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Raven welcome to the BOC . my suggestion to u is to check out the BOC library it has a lot of great info in there.:wink:

4. dog_da_catfishhunter

dog_da_catfishhunter New Member

State:
    FT RILEY KANSAS
    Hey SGT I take it your at FT Riley. Do you fish around the post? is so where. I'm gonna head to the republican off 77 this weekend

5. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    Dee I would fish with a 2oz sinker and use a 8/0 circle hook.
    2oz sinker-swivel -18inch leader and the hook..
    My guess is you are fishing a ledge.
    I would fish from the deepest part to the shallowest part of the channel fan cast your fishing spot. As for slip floats use them for the shallow lines.
    Make your cut bait large like the head or fillets for the deepest lines.
    Good luck fishing

6. lwarren

lwarren New Member

State:
    alabama
    I fish Logan Martin mostly and use a 1.5 oz flat or egg sinker with about a 18 inch leader and high quality swivel and never use less than 6/0 Kahle hooks. I use 30# big cat Berkely and use about 4 poles at a time fanned out in different depths. I try to target ledges and holes and will put one shallow about 19 ft and the last one in the bottom edge of the hole in the main channel. Bait is hand size chunks of shad, head, cut chunks and fillets. Hope this helps...

7. whiskman

whiskman New Member

State:
    alabama
    is shad better then chicken liver? as far as for there sense of taste and smell

8. lwarren

lwarren New Member

State:
    alabama
    Shad are so plentiful on Logan and they are free. They arent great after freezing but in a pinch you can save some for a day when the shad arent cooperating. Livers work but cost money and I have never been real lucky with them.