Fishing for suckers in the Potomac

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by rebcatman, Feb 27, 2006.

1. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    In last weeks fishing report, it mentioned that white suckers were starting to be caught around Whites Ferry. Like shad and other bait fish, suckers seem to be a good bait to use for catfish. Does anyone here fish for suckers, and are willing to share some tips on how to catch them? I have never fished the Whites Ferry part of the river. Thanks.

2. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Night crawlers. They do wonders in MN you will catch suckers at a ration of 3,4-1 game fish.
    Good luck

3. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Hello reb I would try night crawler in or right around the mouth of the feeder steams. I aways dipped them there until they stop dipping But the smaller one make great baitor use them for cut bait. good luck let us know now you do.

4. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Thanks Larry and Tim.

I will let y'all know how I make out.

5. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Hey reb nice cat in the pic where from. I fish whites ferry down around edwards ferry some in spring. And i will host a catfish tournament there at whites ferry May 6 maybe i will see you there.

6. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Tim,

Thanks. I hired a guide on the James River a few years back, and that was the largest blue, 34 pounds, I caught. I ended up catching 6 fish ranging from 10 pounds up to the 34 pounder. It was by far the best fishing trip I have had so far.

Hopefully, I will have some free time to head up on the 6th. Thanks again for the tips.

How about your picture? That is a pretty nice looking fish too.

7. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    That ones was 41 lb from Fox Ferry on the lower potomac I had 5 over 50lbs around there last season. Lots from 20 into the 40's maybe we can hook up sometime and go just for fun.

8. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Tim,

Those are pretty impressive catfish for the Potomac, given that it gets overlooked for giant catfish.

Sure, I would be up for a trip with you and any other local boc members. Depending on the weather this Sunday, I might try to go up to White's Ferrry and try my luck at catching suckers.

9. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    We also have a tournament this saturday on the lower potomac at Fort washington marina . Stop in around 2:00 and watch the weigh-in you will see some big old blues there. We have alot of boc members coming to fish this one and some soon to be member after its over.

10. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    hey isnt fishing for suckers what the fishing stores do?

11. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Photocat,

Too funny! Come to think of it, I feel like a fishing sucker most of the time.

Tim,

I won't be able to make it this Saturday, have plans already, but I will try to make other tournaments in the future.

12. arync

arync New Member

State:
    virginia
    I recently moved to Ashburn in Northern VA and I went to the new Dicks Sporting goods and talked to a guy who works there about big Cats at White's Ferry. He said the power station pumps hot water into the Potomac and the cats love it. I don't have a boat and I was wondering if you can catch a good number of fish wading into the water or standing on the bank and fishing?

13. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Yes you Can catch loads of cats from the banks there i wouldn't try to wade it as it is rocky with some nice holes. Their is a warm water fish place their to park wlak up river on the bike road untill you see the warm water. follow it down to the potomac river and fish around that part. its only aroun 4 feet or so there but you can catch loads of cats right around the current sign there. Chicken liver or hearts and cut bait works great you can fish down river from there about 1/4 miles and do ok. below that you need to get out about middle ways to get into water to hold cats. Its run 2 feet or less along ways out from the back. great for small cats 1lb or less and bass. try it out and if you like to hit it one weekday say after 2:30 or so drop me a Pm and i can bring the boat and show you around there. We have a catfish tournament there on May 6 at whites ferry By june water levels can go way down and may it very hard to fish from the banks along that place.

14. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Tim,

Thanks for more advice on fishing White's Ferry. I really need to get up there.

15. arync

arync New Member

State:
    virginia
    Tim,

Thanks for the info about white's ferry. I will definately go there and see what I can catch. Where else in the DC/MD/VA metro area can I go and catch good fish without a boat?