Fishing for Gar.....

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Catfish-fever, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Catfish-fever

Catfish-fever New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know there was a thread not to long ago about this....But I wander of anyone might have some advise on how to target Gar on the Ohio River... and maybe an area to fish them.

2. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Seen where some use a minow an a piece of wrapped rope that they untwine an when the gar hits it, then they get tangled into the threads of the twine.

3. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    heres a fun way to do it. i take two 9/0 treble hooks, i mean big son, and string them about 10 to 12 inches apart with a two oz bank sinker at the very end. then search around for a school and cast right over them. not on them, cause the'll run. just past the school, then ripp it in um. i usally snag one aleast the second try. when u get one hold on for the ride, they are good fighters.

4. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    DOWN IN YOUR NECK OF THE WOODS ,THERE ARE MORE GAR THERE THEN UP HERE IN OHIO. DON'T THE HOOKS TEAR UP THE FISH TO WHERE IT WOULD DIE FROM BEING HOOKED LIKE THAT?

5. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I agree, specifically snagging them here in ohio isnt very condusive to releasing the nicer bigger fish nor would it be very rewarding since you would have a ton of time locating them, then youd be too wore out to snag them. :wink:

What part of the Ohio are you fishing and then maybe some folks could tell you where to find them, live shad will get you tore up this time of year, look for slow eddy waters. When you see them "gulping" air, its a dead giveaway you are in a gar hole. We took 2 of em both about 5-6 lbs last week at the mouth of the LMR, so we quickly packed up and moved since we were after cats. They do fight good and I love it when they jump and tailwalk at the boat!!

Salmonid

6. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I can't seem to stay away from them, I just don't have a clue how to actually hook those bone mouths they have. Every once in a while I will get one but usually they just pester me and try to steal my bait.

7. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    not really alligator gar have a tuff hide. alot of guys get them with bow and arrow with two or three shots in each. snaggin does less damage to me it seems. besides that our gar are so dense around in some places, i swear you could walk across them to get to the other side. and the are big, my buddy Blake shelby got a 210lbs alligator gar on bayou desaird.he got it with three shots and had to call for back up to land him. this gar was featured in this months louisiana sportsman mag. it is a new louisiana record, pevious being 165. the world record is 225 by the way. you can see this gar at www.Louisianasportsman.com page22 of the july2009 issue. check it out bro, its big

8. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    moose1 that last post was your response

9. Catfish-fever

Catfish-fever New Member

State:
    Ohio
    After posting my question, I did some additional research and found an article that suggests a 12/o Cirlcle hook will catch right on the corner of the flesh at the back of the jaw. I also watched an episode of the worlds greatest fishing show and they used large pieces of cut shad that was cut to shreds and a slip bobber. Then the articlce I read sugested a live bait fish set under a float with no anchor weight. I also read about the "flies" or rather the twisted rope but also read that if you don't take care to remove all the strands the fish could suffer all sortas of problems. I will travel to a stretch of the Ohio River from the GMR all the way up to Green Up tail waters. But prefer to stay closer to Cinci.

10. cudadustin

cudadustin New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, OHIO
    If your fishing near Cinci your going to have a harder time staying away from gar. If you fish from the bank try to find some "feeders". What I am talking about is those small creeks that feed into the river. Fish in the still water on either side or right at the mouth. Fish no farther than 15 feet from the bank. I would recommend using shiners. That's what I always catch them on. Circle hooks will catch them about 2 out of 10 times. They are a bait stealing fool I tell ya. We got into a mess of them one night and ended up just trying new ways to hook them. What we did was baited a circle hook and tied a "stinger" on it. We used about 3 inches of line and put a treble hook on it. The gar would attack the minnow and if the circle hook missed the treble would not. We did well with that method. I think live bait is the ticket though. They don't seem to bother big hunks of cut bait (knock on wood). Keep me posted on what works for you.

11. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    This is excellent advise ,I would also go back in the creeks on the ohio river if I was looking for gar as far as targeting them on the GMR its so low now south of hamilton just stay away from the rapids and dont worry the Gar will find you.