Fishing for flathead catfish with Skipjack

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by catfishslayer05, Jul 20, 2006.

1. catfishslayer05

catfishslayer05 New Member

Has anyone caught any shovelheads on skipjack?? Every time I fish for shovelheads with skipjack I always catch blues!!!! It doesn't bother me at all hell the Blue thats in my pic was caught on the bottom with skipjack. I just want a big shovelhead I haven't caugt a big one lately.

" KEEP ON FISHING"

2. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have heard of it happening but I think that live bluegill are the trick. or atleast I keep telling myself that :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

Good Luck

Josh

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I have caught all of the many flatheads I have caught on fresh cutbait, or whole fresh dead. Skipjack and shad are the best for me here. I did catch My PB Flathead on a Bluegill head, that came in at 63.5lbs.

4. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    It all depends in the area you are fishing, blues and channels seem to be more common around my fishing holes this year. I have no idea where all the flatties went.:0a28:

5. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Never underestimate the power of a big bloody skipjack head!!

Blues and Flats both love 'em!

6. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Catfishslayer, flatheads will and often do take fresh cutbait, especially skipjack. Maybe the reason that you are getting the blues instead of the flatheads is not a bait problem, but a location problem. In my experience for flatheads eddy holes and slack water ledges are more of a location than the channel and current breaks. Also look for flatties close to drift and logjams. Vern

7. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Skipjack work really good for flatheads in the spring and fall. BIgger flatheads really seem to like the head. I think finding the flatheads like Vernon said is the real key!!!

8. catfishslayer05

catfishslayer05 New Member

Thanks alot for all the info.

" Keep on fishin"