Fishing for flathead catfish in rivers

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by JMarrs328, May 14, 2006.

1. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    What kind of areas in the river should I look for for flatheads? What kind of structure do they like? Will I find them in the same places that I find Channel Cats?

2. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    There are many different types of places that you can find flatheads in rivers. For me, I'd have to say my top 3 places are in swift current and deep areas right below dams that have a lot of concrete around. The second would be in front of log jams, letting the current push your bait right undernearth logs and stick ups. The third would be fishing parallel to a bank that drops off directly into about 4+ feet of water and there are lots of tree roots around or an undercut bank. I have caught many flatheads in the same areas as channels, mostly at night though. Both will come up onto shallow flats at night in search of food.

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    josh, find the holes in your river. fish in them during the day and around them at night. toss around and in log jambs,behind bridge pilons,behind bolders,anything that blocks current. if it rains head for the creek mouths and sometimes up in the creeks a bit. keep searching and you will set up a milk run of good places.

tight lines to ya.

4. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Josh, this time of year they will be in water less than 9ft deep. More like 3 to 6. They will be holding in woody cover maybe even a single large log laying in the water. They will be staking out these areas to spawn under. If you can go out in a boat scout a 5 or more mile stretch and find the largest concentration of wood. I fished one stretch of bank last year that had downed trees for 200 yards just laying in 3 or 4 ft of water. Caught a 37 and a 41 back to back off one big log. If your river has no wood then you have to find large rocks or boulder fields. Look on the shore as you motor by 9 times outta 10 what you see on the bank is the same structure you'll find under water when it comes to rocks. If the sides are steep and littered with big chunks of fallen rock, then thats whats under water as well. Hope this helps. Oh, use big live baits LOL

5. claycntyjoe

claycntyjoe New Member

State:
    Northern Kentucky
    I usually find good concentrations of flats around creek mouths that have some wood.

In a bigger river You can also find them in backwater areas

6. Snappy

Snappy New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Great info. Thanks!

7. mallard

mallard New Member

State:
    ks
    Structure is the key, I find log jams on the outside bend in the river. The Ideal location would have deep water congested with logs and surrounded by shallow water, the fish stay in the logjam by day and hunt the shallows by night.

8. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    The river I fish in is fairly shallow, so how deep is deep water?

9. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    well i consider deep around 15 feet or deeper

10. fishboy

fishboy New Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks for of the advice

11. flat1

flat1 New Member

State:
    WV
    you will find big flats around log jams,below damns,on sand bars that drop off into deep water and in late summer i have found them in deep hole that have structure to the such as ledges, rocky bottoms ,or sunken logs

12. kat_daddy11

kat_daddy11 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    my name is derek pinson and i have been an avid catfisherman since the age of two when i caught my first catfish. i.m currently in the process of organizing, something like the catfish world has never seen, i'm contacting as many fisherman as i can and also fishing company sponsers. what i am working on will put catfishing on the map as big as B.A.S.S is. if your interested please get in touch with me.
    derek aka KAT DADDY

13. Rootwad

Rootwad New Member

State:
    Platte City, MO
    Log jams, rootwads, holes like abondon beaver dens.

14. Steve W

Steve W New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Kat Daddy;
    I don't want every boza with a boat out catfishing.
    us catfisherman know where to find each other.
    I'm not sayin guys shouldn't try to make a living catfishin
    it just seems like its becoming a test of manhood for guys to
    go catch bass. I just don't want the circus atmosphere that surrounds
    bass fishin to become part of catfishin

15. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    josh deep is relavent to the river you fish. our rivers run shallow n rocky here. most of the river is 2-4ft. there are a few holes that run to 20 and are only about 50-100 yrds long. your river mite only have holes to 10ft but if thats all they have it will do.

16. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Derek, welcome to the BOC:0a25: