Fishing for Flathead catfish around barges

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Pennsylvaniacatchaser, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I was wondering if anyone fishes for Flatheads around docked barges. The river & pool I mostly fish on has a barge company. There is always a few barges tied up to the shore, I'm wondering if Flatheads would use these barges like a woodpile for cover and as a feeding area? The area has deep water (40 ft.) nearby.

2. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    I'm definantly not an expert but it would probably depend on how long the barges were in that one spot but I could be wrong. I'm sure somebody on here will know for sure though.

3. SwiftWater

SwiftWater New Member

State:
    Central Virginia
    I wouldn't think flatheads would use the barge's as cover. Now bait fish on the other hand would use it as cover and the flatheads may move in and feed in the area. It's worth wetting a line or two and finding out!

4. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    It might depend if the barges are semi permanant or not, if so, I would think they might be a good shady spot for them to hang out in durring high sun periods. Another thought is if any of them are used for loading grain and the sort, Lots of folks like to carp and channel fish around those spots because the silage is alway overflowing and spilling into the water.

Again, this might hold lots of baitfish which in turn, could be a bonus for any number of sportfishes.

Salmonid

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Absolutely, Two of my bank spots are actually old retired barges pushed up against the bank. Caught my largest flathead right off the front of the barge then he ran underneath the front as if he came from there. About half of the flatheads I catch are from fishing around barges.

6. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    wolfman - Thanks for the input! I go past the docked barges on my way upriver and often think to myself "wonder if the Flatties hang out around them". I don't know how often the barges get moved, I think there's a couple that just stay there all the time, might be my best bet to try those. My main concern though is anchoring down at night and the fog rolling in and then a barge plowing me. I guess I should fish this spot on a clear night.

7. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    you might want to get a handheld marine radio I always have one oneboard. at night if I am in the channel I let the barge know I am there. he can tell you if you might be in a bad spot. we have someone killed every year around here sometimes more.

Danny

8. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    im not sure if flathead would hang around them but i am almost positive there are massive amounts of shad around it eating the moss of the bottom and sides

9. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Fishing barges is one of my favorite spots to hit during pleasure or tournament fishing, they will use the barge as cover just like a tree or woodpile, it breaks the current, I mainly concentrate my efforts on full barges, that barge sits 14 foot deep or better and if your in 16 foot or shallower water it is a perfect place for them to slip in and hunker down, I anchor directly in front of the barge, I like to get within 50 yards so you have got to have a good anchor, concentrate on the middle portion and the two end portions of the barge, what you want to be able to do is put your bait right on the edge of the barge and allow the current to sweep it under the lip of the barge so a lot of times I have bounced the bait off the barge, but the ping has never seemed to spook them, generally they will lay right under the first ten foot of a barge. Normally I won't concentrate on a empty barge because it doesn't sit low enough in the water unless it is a wreck...............Doc

10. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Doctor - Thank you, that's the kind of info I was hoping to hear. I'm gonna try fishin' them barges this year instead of motoring past and wondering if the Flatties are there!

11. dip

dip New Member

State:
    stinkin ohio
    hehe hay i won the big fish pot at DOC'S last tournament throwing under a barge. ain't been on the ohio in a couple of years but that is the 2nd thing i would look for. just be ready to SCOOT out of the way if a tugboat tells you to boogy!

12. balddaddy91

balddaddy91 New Member

State:
    East Liverpool,Oh
    I have tryed around the bardges but have'nt had any luck

13. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Pennscatchaser, I catch alot of good fish around parked barges, abandoned and working. One of my favorite places to fish is at the power plant where there are always coal barges parked. I fish under, in front and behind them. If they are in a regularly moved location there will usually be a scour hole behind where they are parked, from where the tug works them constently. This scour hole has produced large numbers of quality flatheads, blues and channels for me. Vern

14. jruckman41

jruckman41 New Member

State:
    west virginia
    i fish barges all the time. i like to get on them most of my fish come from old barges the ones that are not use anymore.

15. catfishn72

catfishn72 New Member

State:
    WhEELING,WEST VIRGINIA
    if you are fishing off an old docked barge you may want to use a steel leader because the flatheads will swim inside the holes in the bottom and it will break your line often but they love to lay against them.

16. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Thanks Doctor for the information on fishing the barges. But like you said have a good ancor, cause we had a fella in a small flat bottom here on the Missouri river here in Iowa a copple of years ago capsize his boat because he got to close to the frount of a barge and drowned. That old Missouri is dangerous and Swift!

17. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    fishing under or around those barges will produce some good flatheads for you. As posted earlier the old not used ones partly submerged seems to produce best. I fish around them on the Ohio river.