Fishing for Crappie in Rivers

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by JMarrs328, May 14, 2006.

1. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Has anyone had any success with targeting crappies in rivers? If so, where are the best places to catch crappies in rivers? What should I use for bait? When should I go? Thanks for the help!!!

2. bankpoleken

bankpoleken New Member

State:
    Mattoon, Illinois
    The two rivers I fish are small rivers and I usually fish them from a 12 ft jon with a 4 hp outboard. I have read that crappie do not like currents that exceed 2 mph so I always look for an area that has a current break of some sort. I fish log jams, laydowns, rock piles, eddies, the downstream side of stumps etc. I also like the downstream side where a smaller stream or creek enters the river. When the rivers are high and moving at a good speed, I will move up into the feeder creeks themselves. Hope this info helps some.

3. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Josh, I am not a good crappie fisherman but one of my fishing buddies is as good as they come. He was wondering if they could be caught on the river so we tried and we had a blast. The main difference for us was adding enough weight to our jig or jig and minnow to be able to control it in the current. Some structure like a treetop that is in a little bit of current break is a good place to try. You can also follow schools of shad and throw jigs or small crankbaits. But be warned, when you are fishing on the river you never know what is going to be jerking on the end of your line. It might be a crappie or a bass or maybe a flathead. That is part of what makes it so much fun.

ST

4. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    Josh, I used to catch a lot of crappies in the Stillwater river in Englewood. I always used bass and crappie minnows under a small bobber. I fished an area above the dam where there was a small island. I would fish on the current breaks in 4 to 6 feet of water.

5. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks for the help guys!!! I'll post you on my results next time I try for them.

6. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I fish the Cumberland River, a fairly large river. Big enough for barge traffic. I look for old log jams and fallen trees that run from shallow water out into 10-12 feet or deeper. I use a 10' limber crappie pole and tight line fish with a minnow about a foot above a 1/2 ounce sinker. I feel around with it and search different depths until I find them. With the sinker on the bottom, it's usually easy to get the hook loose if you get hung up. I caught a bunch last week when there was some current in the river. The next day, I went back. There was no current and I only caught 3.

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn

That is how I plan on fishing here for them. The islands here have a narrow side. And its filled with tree tops. So with deep water and trees and current. Should be fun. I do know theres lots of small mouth bass there also,.\

Pete

8. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    You should be fishing up in Pickwick Lake!!!! There are some freakin' huge smallies in there!!!

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I have caught my part of them in Pickwick lake. But the river holds bigger and better small-mouths.
    But only fish for them in the fall with minnows. or jig and pig.
    Have you been lucky enough to fish here?
    Pete

10. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I've caught some crappies in rivers, mostly in slack water areas. They will also hang around docks on a lot of rivers and I've even caught a few below a dam I frequently fish. Heck, I've even caught a few out of a really small, fast flowing creek before.