Fishing for crappie in Indiana

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by drcatfish14, Mar 7, 2007.

1. drcatfish14

drcatfish14 New Member

State:
    indiana
    When is the best time to start fishing for crappie in Indiana?

2. buckeater

buckeater Member

State:
    Indiana
    im going to start soon as the ice gets off the lake

3. bank bouncer

bank bouncer New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    I second that, sometimes don't even wait until the ice is all off to fish from bank.

4. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    wait til the ice is off? I love fishing for them through the ice, man they taste good then too! But I start heavily once the water temps get to 45 or so and they start the prespawn

5. Wooly

Wooly New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey Doug, I checked a local lake and the ice is starting to disappear. Another week, maybe if the night temps would stay above freezing. Bluesclues talks about the Merom power plant in March you might check with him.

Wooly

6. basstracker 1

basstracker 1 New Member

State:
    indiana
    start fishing now man.them ol crappie are starvin bro,hit em hard!!!!!!!!im in southern indiana so the ice is finally gone.so glad kinda hard to get boat on ice.

7. HoGhEaD

HoGhEaD New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Go for it now,,late winter early spring rocks for Crappie fishing,,Best Crappie fishing I ever done was at Lake Berkley in Kentucky late March

8. bluesclues

bluesclues New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey doug went yesterday out at Sullivan lake and there wasnt a boat on the lake.......not a good sign. I threw everything at them but I didnt buy any minos. I will tell you this they are deep. Some of the coves where still iced over. I only caught a couple bluegills and 2 crappie not any size. Give it a week. Fish for life!!:0a22:

9. basstracker 1

basstracker 1 New Member

State:
    indiana
    hey dr caught these over t[​IMG]he weekend in tennesee fig[​IMG]ured you like

10. Fishinfreak

Fishinfreak Member

State:
    North Bend,Ohio
    I would say that is on Reelfoot lake.This time of year can be great down there.Nice table full of crappie.

11. basstracker 1

basstracker 1 New Member

State:
    indiana
    yes sir it is,had a good time it sure got me primed up for spring time

12. bluesclues

bluesclues New Member

State:
    Indiana
    :0a23: Nice table full of crappie dan looks like fun. What where u catching them on?

13. basstracker 1

basstracker 1 New Member

State:
    indiana
    good ol minnows.we were fishing in 6'to8' of water also.the water temp down there was 56 degrees.

14. drcatfish14

drcatfish14 New Member

State:
    indiana
    It looks like there ready down in tenn. Thanks Dan! When are we going bluesclues?:big_smile_2:

15. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Went out today for a couple hours in Southern Indiana. Me and my dad caught 30 crappie and 16 of them were keepers. They were in about 3 feet of water soaking up that sun (it was over 70 here today). No great bigguns to report, all the keepers were in the 9-11 inch range, but were still good eating. The water temp was 46.5

16. Hogdogtod

Hogdogtod New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Someone told me the other day they should be hitting with these warm days we've had.

17. basstracker 1

basstracker 1 New Member

State:
    indiana
    where you fishing at skimax?im heading out saturday supposed to be cold,but i gotta get that boat on the water

18. Wooly

Wooly New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Went out today on a small lake. Lake is known for slab gills but there are a few crappie around. I caught one 13 inch crappie, lost another, caught a couple small bass and then it was over!:angry: The wind really su..., ahhh it was bad! Definitely a one pole day but it was great to be on the water again.

Wooly

19. bluesclues

bluesclues New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Here are hopefully if it works some pics. of the crappie we caught on 3-14-07. We fished Sullivan lake and had a blast. Only showing a few of what we caught. Just kept the bigger ones.:0a23:

Attached Files:

20. clintonhawg1

clintonhawg1 New Member

State:
    indiana
    Did wheatfield catch most of these fish for you .