Fishing for catfish with lures

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by 1hws, Jan 20, 2007.

1. 1hws

1hws New Member

State:
    GA
    I had been experimenting with different ways to catch catfish with out having to keep putting bait on so often and still do. The best thing that I have come up with is using a large tube bass lure some thing with red in it.

Tkae the hook and run it through the top of it until the half of the J point of the hook is out. You can tie it on like you would any other catfish rig that you desire to use. Take your dough bait or (cheese bait works the best here in Savannah GA) and make sure it is as stiff as you can get it and stuff it in as far up as you can get it and fill it up and throw it out and wait for that bite.

You may want to drill some 1/8 holes in the sides to let more scent out. But that is up to you.

I have also done the same things with large plugs as well.
    take a large plug and cut off the front end and the treble hooks. find some dia-rods that will fit into the body some time you may have to sand down the rod to get it to fit very tight. All you want to have is enought to fit the pieces together. Once you get the size right drill a some hole long ways so you can thread the line through it later.

Take the tube and drill 1/8 hiles in it to let out the scents, number of holes depends on the size of tube and how much scent you want comming out. Make sure you drill out a hole at the tip so you can thread your line through it later and do the same at the bottom or end of tube, if there is a hook or a spinner just unscrew it or pull it out.

Now thread the line through the whole thing and tie your hook or hooks. to keep the hook close to the end just pull it down to the hook and at the top just put on cork slip stopper ( it is a small round rubber clear nubb that the line feeds through or just use a pinch weight)

To fill if with bait just pull it apart and stuff the lower end full and close it up and throw it out. Some times if the fish are not bitting I will use a weighted down the plug and use it as the weight and a bait attractor to lure bait fish around the area.

Therer are so many ways to use lures to catch fish I even came up with ways to use plastic worms.

If anyone has any questions just let me know

2. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    Man yea, I have used those littlestinker thingys and the Mulberry thangys too. They always work good at keeping the bait on the hook but not at catchin fish. I think I may try some of those 4 or 5 inch tube baits this spring. I would like to have a huge bait ball out there. I will use some 8/0 circle hooks with the biggest tube baits I can get. You are on the ball on this.

3. 1hws

1hws New Member

State:
    GA
    I have caught many cats this way belive it or not, mainly with the rubber tube baits, like I said just try a few and see what I am talking about

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Earl I might give this a try. A few years ago I used Mann 20' plus crankbait and keep spraying with crawdad sent and caught cat fish on it. I believe there are times that cat will feed on action smelling baits. Thanks

5. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    Great idea. I will try that.

6. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Each year I usually catch a cat or two while trolling or casting for LM bass or white bass. Usually it is Rapala... fat rap or a jointed shad rap and the only scent used is what may be on my left hand left over from catfish baiting. I'll say this, it is usually one heck of a strike with the adrenaline pumping.

bayrunner ray

7. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Caught several cats last year trolling 200 and 300 series bandit crankbaits . The biggest was a 13 lb flathead.

8. fishoholic

fishoholic New Member

State:
    California
    That sounds like a great recipe.