Fishing for Catfish in the coves

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by FAT_CAT, Mar 25, 2006.

1. FAT_CAT

FAT_CAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Has anyone had any luck EVER fishing for cats in coves of lakes and rivers? My family and I are looking into a little campground on Watts Bar Lake and we don't have a boat. I've heard mixed comments so far so I thought I'd ask you guys. When I was fishing for bass only I would occasionally see big cats strolling near rocky areas in the warmer weather, but this cove is your basic tree'd in area with depths at around 12-15' according to the dock attendant. This may be a newbie question...but hey, I'm still a newbie. Thanks.

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah coves can make great catfishing sometimes. I have caught many channel cat's in coves in the lake I fish. And this cove is only like 3 feet deep. They only bite in it at night though, it's best in the Spring and in the Fall.:)

3. TNcat

TNcat New Member

State:
    TN
    Danny, about 50% of the time that is where Iam at! Certain times of the year are better than others for cove fishing but the spring is excellent when they are coming in to the coves from the deep. Any time that you are scouting a new area to fish, look and see if there are anything that the fish you are after can eat. And if you are after big cats, and there are bluegill, perch, etc other bait fish in that cove I would say that a big O whisker fish probably ain't that far away. Just my two cents.

4. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Fishing those coves at night could would be great.Those bait fish will go up in there at night and the cats will follow them in to feed on them so id say go getem!

5. FAT_CAT

FAT_CAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That's the news I was looking for. We actually went to check the marina out and saw bait running just about everywhere. I'm gonna check with a local pond-stocker to see if I can get his bluegills that went belly up...might even check on buying them wholesale, sure would beat having to find 'em and catch 'em. Thanks for the info. guys.

6. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I fish the coves at night an on overcast days. It sounds to me like it would be worth a shot.

7. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    Almost all of my fishing is in coves. You just have to find the right 1.

8. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I drift fish at the mouth of coves during the day to catch cats & crappie and as the sun sets, the cats start following the baitfish into the coves.

9. TXBlueHunter

TXBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Flower Mound, Texas

Coves are great to catfish in. In the spring and summer the bait fish and shad will start moving into the coves and the rest nature takes care of. Also, if you can find a cove that the sore line is wind blown fish it. I love fishing coves on windy days. The wind will push the shad in to the cove and the cats, sand bass, striper, bass will be follow.

Good luck.

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You can pretty much catch catfish in any water...as long as they can propel themselves, they will be there. It may not be while your there, but hey, thats the breaks.

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've had good luck at times fishing in coves. Seems like the best ones have a channel leading out to deep water, and a good number of stumps or other woody cover. That may sound like I'm talking about flatheads, but I'm talking about blues.

12. hopnbrly

hopnbrly New Member

State:
    California
    I have found that coves are good in water over 70 degrees and at night if you are in a area that draws in the food source that they feed on. Lots of ifs but productive if those combos happen.Heck,even if they dont sometimes they kick good fish.

13. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I gotta agree w/ others. Should be good in the spring as they come in shallow to chase Baitfish.

14. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have found that coves in lakes draw alot of channel cats in the spring time.

15. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Coves are best after a hard rain brings some runoff into the cove. The cats will come in to chow down. We have a cove on the main lake here on Lake of the Ozarks and whenever the main channel is high and the current is ripping this small shallow(3ft to 8ft deep) cove holds big fish. See ya on the water!

16. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    You might want to check your local laws before buying those Gills for bait, Here in Ohio it is illegal to buy or sell them for bait. You can use them for bait but only if caught by hook in the mouth. :)

17. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Both cats and bass are predators and as such like much the same cover and food sources. I have caught a mess of cats in coves. In fact timbered coves are very productive. My grandad taught me to fish for cats in coves. We always had a skillet full.