Fishing for bluegill and catchin catfish

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by malaki, Sep 17, 2006.

1. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    been using wax worms on a #6 gamagatzu octopuss hook and catchin channels on them. the first couple were abot a 1/2 pound but my girlfreind caught a 3 pounder last night on that tiny little hook. anybody have this happen?

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have it happen every once and awhile while brim fishing and crappie fishing too. It can be fun.

3. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Yep. Just messing around one night on a pier. Jigging a worm up and down for bream and got 3 small cats. Kinda fun. Got my hands stinky anyway.

4. mperry

mperry Member

State:
    Indiana
    I had that happen when I was at Kentucky Lake fishing for crappie. Using minnows the bobber started to take off and I set the hook and luckily I had my drag set pretty loose. Cat was over 10 pounds. Pretty fun on 6LB line.

5. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Ya just never know .

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    That's how I got into catfishing. The cats would come along and grab the meal worm on my #6 long shank offset mustang and I'd have to pull the damn things in and take home to eat. So, strarted cafishing in self defense, just figured the damn things needed to be thinned out in that lake. Catfish caught while fishing for buegills was a regular thing on that lake, but don't fish it anymore because of the crowd that hangs out there, things stolen from my truck one too many times.

7. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Had that happen a couple days ago. About two feet off the bank I caught a handsize bluegill, about a 3lb channel and a small snapping turtle. All were caught on a 4 baitholder hook with a small piece of cured liver.

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Ya it happens at time, cats and bream eats about the same bait.

9. kenkinser

kenkinser New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yes it happens when u use live bait u can catch anything its fun u going to get a small bluegill on a 2-3 lb bass or cat

10. 1 cattin dude

1 cattin dude New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    I was fishing at Mellwood for bream (for bait) with a 12 ft. crappie pole, hooked into a 4lb. channel under a fallen tree. I was using crickets. I thought my pole was about to snap. I got it in though, it was a nice head start on the catfishing. Also, was catching bream on crickets around a marina on Lake Norfork. Caught a small one on my U.L. w/4lb. line and when I almost had it to the top of the water, a bass around 3 lb. or so came out from under the dock and ate the bream. My heart skipped a few beats and the line said "SNAP". I then got my bass rig and put on a small bream and got him back! lol

11. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I have had it happen alot while bluegill fishing

Last spring I was crappie fishing. Minnows and slip bobbers. My bobber went under in the brushpile. I set the hook and told my cousin "oh crap, he hung me up" then my drag took off. I fought the fish for about 15 minutes and finally got him in. It was a 27 pound flathead. talk about a fun fight on 10 foot crappie pole and 6 pound test!
    Don't worry, I CPR'ed him-the crappie weren't so lucky :lol:

12. GillSlayer

GillSlayer New Member

State:
    Florida
    Happend to me the other day. I was fishing small pices of hot dog under a float and had 2 pound channel hit. It was a blast on the 4lb line. Although the rod I had out for cats went untouched.........

13. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    I actually have that happen on a regular basis in some of the ponds that i fish in. Pretty exciting when it happens too.

Wheelmobile07