Fishing for blue catfish from the bank

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Believer, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Ok, guys. I need some encouragement here. I'm new to fishing for monster fish & have yet to catch one. My largest is a 15 lb flathead. I have never caught a blue, i've been trying though. I have used shad, blue gills & gold fish with no luck.
    My problem is that I am stuck on the bank. How many of you guys have had luck catching big fish from the bank & is there a trick to it?

Thanks!

Eric

2. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    I caught a 7lb bluecat from the bank. I was using worms and a whiskersticker hook.

3. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    i have cought many blues from the bank although they wern't monsters(10 lbs)..i look for a spot that has a washout and cast out into the current and let my bait(chicken livers most of the time ) drift into it

4. btmfdr

btmfdr New Member

State:
    missouri
    believer where do you fish mostly? if ther are wing dykes and you can get to them walk right out on to them, and spend your time fishing the whole perimeter, other than that if you dont have dykes id try to find a really sharp bend in the river(preferably with rip rap) and set up there.

5. drc3

drc3 New Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    The best thing to do is get a topo map of your lake or river (if you don't already have one) and find out where the main channel is close to the bank. That's the worst thing about bank fishing for big blues, your not usually within casting distance of deeper water. All of my big blues have come from at least 25ft of water, not that they don't go shallow, but this time of year they will be deep most of the time. Check your map out for deep water next to bank and then find out if it is open to bank fishing. Main lake/ river points would be a good starting place.

6. drm1254

drm1254 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    [My son and I fish from the bank on the Missisippi right downtown St Louis. We use shad and skipjack exclusively. As far as the basics go we use circle hooks(best thing since sliced bread) and 6-8 oz no roll sinkers. Only fish one spot for no more than an hour at a time. Change bait every 15 minutes. If you don't get any bites move down the bank about 15 -20 feet and try again. Also just bought 10 foot rods and they make a difference as to how far you can cast. If you are familiar with the area also fish any structure as the blues seem to hole up unless they are feeding and on the move. Make sure your hook size is right for the amount of bait you are using. I always like to leave a little room between the point and the bait so they are easier to hook. Can't think of anything more right at the moment. Hope this helps.
    quote=Believer]Ok, guys. I need some encouragement here. I'm new to fishing for monster fish & have yet to catch one. My largest is a 15 lb flathead. I have never caught a blue, i've been trying though. I have used shad, blue gills & gold fish with no luck.
    My problem is that I am stuck on the bank. How many of you guys have had luck catching big fish from the bank & is there a trick to it?

Thanks!

Eric[/quote]

7. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Eric There is some good tips in the above posts. Might I add to fish below anything that breaks the current tree snags, rock piles, and bridge pillars come to mind. pack light and keep moving. good luck and keep us posted!

8. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    The best encouragment I can give you is 121lb splash she was caught from the bank.So you definatly dont need a boat to catch big fish.

9. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    my 2 biggest fish were 18 and 27 lbs...but neither were catfish. Both were caught in colder weather, one in a downpour that was quite intense. It can be done, but from my personal experience when bank fishin, you gotta find the times and places where other peeps are doin somethin else...for bigger fish in particular.

cyas
    rc

10. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I am also stuck on shore, but I fish in tailraces where boats aren't allowed anyway. I haven't caught anything big yet, but many people have.

Just a couple of weeks ago I saw a guy pull out a 30# blue while fishing for crappie.

11. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Use as many poles as you can to increase your chances also use a good way to secure your poles when a big one hits hes gonna hit hard, don't want to loose a pole. I have had luck with large cut shad. No monters blue but a few in the 30lb range.

12. catfishinmagician

catfishinmagician New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I'll tell ya, i do all of my fishing from the bank. My personal best is 47 lbs. I'm tryin to get to 50 this year, but largest this year so far is 40. Findin a good bank fishin spot for bigguns is not the easiest thing to do. I actually fished this particular spot for two years before hooking into any sizable blues; it was mostly just channel cats. Caught the first fish over 20 lbs, and tried to mimic how it was set up time and time again. Had a friend take me out in his boat so i could get an idea of the bottom contour out there, started using bigger and bigger baits, and everything kinda fell into place. I too would suggest getting some sort of map of the lake or river you're fishing. And it doesn't neccesarily have to be deep water, it just depends on the time of year. If you fished my favorite spot any time November through early March, you wouldn't think there was a fish in the lake. Keep in mind the deepest spot in the immediate area is only around 15 ft. with the channel being avg. 8 ft., and everything else being around 3 or 4 and those big fish are still in there. Also, if you're limited to shallow water, try and fish mostly nights. Big blues, especiallly during warmer months, will move up into shallow water, at night to feed, just like flatheads. If you can get out in a boat at some point to see what an area really looks like, that will really work towards your advantage. Another thing, don't be afraid to hike a good ways. I'm walking a mile down some old railroad tracks, out in the middle of nowhere to get to my spot, hauling my stuff on a pier cart,but it pays off for me. what does the spot look like, as far as where you're at on the body of water, and what, if you know of any, kind of cover or structure is out there in front, or even just close by??