Fishing for blue and flathead catfish?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by CJ21, Dec 6, 2006.

1. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Do u guys have any tips on catching blues and flatheads? I have never caught one before.

2. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Charles the main thing to do is fish waters that have them in good numbers. Blues are in your big rivers and lakes/reservoirs and you will need to have fresh cut bait for them. I for one believe if your in a boat you have an advantages cause you can cover more water and fish the better areas where they tend to be like the dropoffs, ledges, rocky areas, etc. A fish finder is key in locating the structure foremost because these are the areas that normally holds them. Also schools of baitfish is another indication. Fishing from a bank I would wait till at night during summer and fall when they tend to come shallower at times to feed. During the winter timethey come closer as well to feed especially if you can find a run off from the bank somewhere after a good pouring or during a good pouring. Theywill be at that runoff or not too far from that runoff. Same holds true during other times of the year too.

Your flathead best times is spring summer and fall and live bluegill basically will get the job done. Fish at night for the mostpart and fish near structure likestumps and behind sand bars you wil be cool. This is river fishing I am talking about now. Live bait is the thing to use for flatheads. make sur eyou have the right gear to get them in when they hit because they are fierce fighters. Depending on the area you are fishing and the current, you may need heavy gear.

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have heavy gear! I have a Abu 6000 baitcaster and a Tidewater Freeliner Spinning Reel. I use berkley big game rods and 20 lb test line.

4. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Leave the worms, chicken livers, and stink bait at at home. Great for channels, poor for blues and flats.
    I'd use cut bait, shad if you can get em, otherwise any fresh cut fish will work, carp, goldfish, minnows, bream, whatever you can get.Change it often , every 15 to 30 minutes, blues and flatheads are more picky than channels which eat just about anything with protein in it. Blues and flatheads want fresh meat. I like live bait better for flatheads but blues are caught on live bait all the time as well. I almost always fish with several poles and will put fresh cut bait on some and live bait on others. Ask around your local bait shops to get info on where to find the blues and flats, they are ususally glad to steer ya in the right direction. Fish around whatever structure you can find, fallen trees, rock piles, ledges, holes, humps, anything that stands out from the surrounding water. Good fishin.

5. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    We don't seem to have a lot of blues here but I have caught more of them @ this time of year. Like others have mentioned, cut or live bait is the best. Most of the Blues that I've caught have all been well over 5lbs, so I release them as well as the few Flatheads that I was lucky enough to hook up with.

HTH, Elliot

6. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    I use a large kahle hook. Hook a live panfish through both lips, bottom to top. I use mostly blue gill. Use a heavy slip sinker and let it slide all the way to the hook. Throw it out and WHAM. I wish it was that easy, but that's how I've caught most of my flatheads.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I dont fish worm or livers much, anymore but I do like using minnows.

8. bigcatch87

bigcatch87 New Member

State:
    louisianna
    not true were i fish during the winter since shad is hard to come by. Worm is the it the bait of choice ive caught 18 pounders on worms from the bank.
    in louisiana i use worms and shrimp to catch flatheads from the bank.

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Here in Alabama, its hard to find shad in the winter time here to.

10. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    CJ21 find a power plant, fish the warm side discharge if possible, blues and flats come into that and look for baitfish, shad like the warm water. Use the worms to catch bluegill and use them for bait. I have seen big blues taken on worms, from 5lb to 15lb. Good luck.

11. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Good advice folks. Find a body of water that has a good supply of blues & flats. If you're not sure, ask/call your local fish & game. The should be more than happy to tell you the top 2 or 3 blue & flat fising lakes/rivers in your area. If one of them happens to be where you currently fish, great. Point is, the bait is moot if there is not a good supply of blues and flats in the area.
    Fresher the bait, the better. Cut or whole for blues. Live/whole for flats. Shad, brim, minnows, worms, etc. can work. Big minnows can catch just about anything, kinda jack of all trades. Shad or brim (whole or cut) is my first choice for blues. Keep it fresh, 30 to 45 mins max on the hook. The prepared baits (stink/punch) can catch a blue but not my first choice, especially in winter.
    Best of luck.

12. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I fish the coosa river below the dam.

13. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Below a dam....sounds like you're already found a good spot. Excellent bank fishing can be had just below a dam.

14. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i have my best luck in november-febuary using whole 4-6 inch dead shade. good luck hope u get a bigun.

15. roughneckcatman

roughneckcatman New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Missouri
    If you want to fish for 5 to 15 pounders yeah use your worms but if yaou want to catch big blues 30 to 80 pounders then ya better get some fresh cut shad, skipjack, asian carp, drum, you get the idea. Blue cats will eat any fresh, cut, bloody, meat!! Good luck!!!!