Fishing for Big River Flatheads ?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Hawk33, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Hawk33

Hawk33 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    The river I fish is a bigger river that averages about 20ft. deep in the channel and has some holes that drop down to 40ft. here and there. It has a series of locks/dams on it. Theres no wing dams or islands on this river.

I'm not sure just how to go about fishin this river and was hoping someone could give me some pointers.

I was talkin to a guy who was tellin me fish right down in the deep holes to catch the biggest flatheads. Said he caught a 55lber. out of one of those 40ft. deep holes.

This has me wondering if maybe I should try fishin these deep holes? How would you go about fishin for big flatheads in a river like this? Would you fish those deep holes or how would you go about it? I really want to target the bigger flatheads like 40lbs. and up.

HAWK

2. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    big log jams? if you can find any heavy stucture, i mean heavy, go for it. good luck

3. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    also in current breaks where theres stucture, outside bends ect.

4. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    As strange as it seems, big flatheads in rivers are caught in deep holes and big flatheads in lakes seem to be caught more in the shallow coves and bays. Now, try to figure that one out.

5. Hawk33

Hawk33 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    The bigger part of the river has limited structure; I'm pretty sure i've got the smaller river's figured out fishing brush pile's and log jams successfully...

Do a little fishing at Burnsville Lake and have caught and seen some nice fish caught !!!

I'm more interested in fishing these shovelheads in deeper holes in the bigger part of the river !!!

There has to be somekind of approach that can help me boat these bigger cats lurking around in the deeper hole's further down river then i'm used to fishing !

HAWK

6. gonefishing

gonefishing New Member

State:
    Near Monroe LA
    Thanks for all the information that everyone has put on this board. It will help me out a lot.