Fishing for bait in Lake Wylie and...

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by mudkip, Jan 26, 2007.

1. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    I have been catching a lot of white perch. Had a rod go down this past Saturday and pulled up a 1.95 pound slab white perch weighed on certified scales at Nichols Store in Rock Hill. I am taking it to the bilogist for certification. May qualify as a new SC state record. I will keep you posted on proceedings.

2. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Yeah you might just have it.

3. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    White Perch is listed in the True Bass Family and the record is currently 1-13.5 lbs.

4. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Guys, I just got off the phone with Mr Stroud a biologist in the DNR York Co division and he cannot positively identify the fish as a white perch. He is sending a fin clipping to a geneticist because the fish has characteristics of both a white bass and a white perch. So the verdict is out for now but I think if it is a mixed or hybridized version it will not be allowed, just have to wait and see. It is being sent off for genetic study. He and the other biologists were pretty fascinated with the fish and wonder if naturally occurring hybridization may be occurring in Wylie between the perch and white bass.

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    It's odd that you mention the hybridization, because I've seen a few over the years that were hard to distinguish. Made me wonder.
    Also the same question about catfish. I've caught, and I know some others have to, fish that exhibited characteristics of both channel and blue cats. I've long thought that there might be some cross-breeding there, but have never seen any proof????:confused2:

6. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Tommy

I took the biologist a smaller version (bait size about 6-8 inches) that was alive and immediately he said it was a white perch. We will have to wait for the DNA to come back. I think the fish is definately a white perch but it may be mixed--no stripes were notable on the fish when it was alive but after being frozen for 5 days it appears as though some very light bands are above the lateral line. Makes for an interesting agrument. They are sending the fin clippings to USC for examination. Your tax dollars hard at work!:lol:

7. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Big White Perch :lol:

8. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    congrates on the catch rodger. i hope you get the record and i cannot think of any better way to be spending them tax dollars than on fishing.

9. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Hope it works out and you get the record... Are you going out there this weekend??? Im thinking about going in the morning.

10. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I don't know, Rodger. I hope you've got it, but we'll have to wait and see. That fish is pretty deep through the body, and the gill plate seems to extend pretty far back; no sign of stripes, though. I'd love to hear what the biologists have to say.

11. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I would like to hear also because in recent years the white perch I've been finding at Wateree are bigger.

12. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I sure hope u get the record Roger.

13. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks Beaufort. It will be several weeks until a determination is made. I will pm you the results.

14. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    In the Yadkin River lakes they have what the locals call a Waucammaw which I believe is a cross between white perch and white bass. Same thing mat be in Wylie. I should look up the NC record for white perch because I catch them over 2 lbs. very consistently in the winter.

15. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    What you got looks like a big white perch, If it was a white bass, then it would have some type of stripes in it. I've caught some up here about that size and that's what they look like. The smaller ones are a little bit different looking, but if it's only got one distinguishable line, then it's probably a perch. good eating too. see ya

16. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    The NC record says 2lb 15oz. So they do grow pretty big. Hopefully it will be our new record. Probably some more caught that went into Crisco. :big_smile:

17. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    I bet you are right Tommy a lot of big un's probably got the catch and grease instead of release. And they are good to eat. I mistakely fried some on the bone like you would crappie and they were not good like that but if you fillet them baked or grilled I don't think I have had much better in freshwater. Not a strong tasting fish at all!

18. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I hope it is a white perch.

All those years of license fees you have paid mudkip are going to be used for one $600 DNA test!!

It would be interesting if that is a hybrid. That means the white perch were nice enough to breed with the white bass before they ate all their young and wiped them out of Lake Wylie!! :big_smile: