Fishing for Asian Carp?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Maladroit1, May 3, 2007.

1. Maladroit1

Maladroit1 New Member

State:
    MO
    Hi Everyone. I am new to the board but have caught my share of Catfish. :smile2: I live in the St. Louis area and as you all know the Asian carp have invaded and unfortunately it looks like they are here to stay. I was wondering if anyone has come up with a way to catch them on pole and line other then snagging them? I know they are plankton eaters so it would obviously be a challange but the challange is half the fun of fishing right? I checked out a carp fishing website but all they talk about are common and grass carp. I would love to hook into one of those 30lb bigheads the old fashioned way. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. This site is a great source of info and I am sure I will visit often.

2. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    I dont know how to catch em but i bet it would be fun as heck shootin em as they flew out of the water with the ol 12 gauge steel shot for sure:big_smile:

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Instead of a shotgun (which would be fun), how about using a crossbow with a line attached to a rod & reel?

4. r_p_narramore

r_p_narramore New Member

State:
    East KY
    I saw a show a while back where they were bowfishing for them. They would slowly go up the bank with the motor running and the carp would jump out of the water and they tried to shoot them in the air. I think it was on the Mississippi River. I was surprised at how many the had coming up. The action was nonstop.

5. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    hey i went to chain of rocks last weekend. I had some small crappie rigs
    fishing for skip jacks, and I caught 3 small carp on those. they where small
    but it was pretty fun to see them hit those little jigs. I dont know if the bigger ones will hit it or not, but you can try that. good luck, and if you get one hold on those suckers got some fight in them....lol:smile2:

6. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis

hey i went to chain of rocks last weekend. I had some small crappie rigs
    fishing for skip jacks, and I caught 3 small carp on those. they where small
    but it was pretty fun to see them hit those little jigs. I dont know if the bigger ones will hit it or not, but you can try that. good luck, and if you get one hold on those suckers got some fight in them....lol:smile2:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Maladroit1

Maladroit1 New Member

State:
    MO
    I have heard of a couple people catching them on crappie jigs but not very consistantly and usually it's small ones. I just know there has got to be a bait the big ones will take. I wonder if Berkley will come out with Gulp! plankton. :big_smile:

8. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I have heard of people catching them on trotlines and such with cheese.

It seems that some sort of bait that comes apart in the water can be used to catch them as they sometimes tend to get hooked when they are messing around trying to break off pieces of your big glob of whatever that is full of treble hooks.

9. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Can a person still snag and keep asian carp at Chain of Rocks till May 15? I know spoonbill closed April 31, but I seem to catch more of those carp than anything there so I was wondering.

10. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I just re-read the Illinois fishing digest and I take it that paddlefish can still be snagged and kept until May 15th from the Mississippi? Here in Missouri's rivers and Tributaries, paddlefish can't be kept after April 31st.

Can somebody verify if I am correct before I go try to catch some paddlefish and asian carp, I don't want a ticket because I misunderstand the rules.:crazy:

11. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    3 CSR 10-6.525 Paddlefish
    PURPOSE: This rule establishes seasons,
    methods and limits for taking paddlefish.[/LEFT]
    (1) Daily Limit: Two (2).
    (2) Methods: Pole and line, snagging, grabbing,
    trotline, throwline, limb line, bank line
    or jug line.
    (3) Seasons: March 15 through April 30,
    except on the Mississippi River where the
    season is March 15 through May 15 and September
    15 through December 15.

3 CSR 10-6.550 Other Fish

2. In the Mississippi River, fish may be
    taken by these methods from March 15
    through May 15 and from September 15
    through December 15.

Here ya go.

12. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Appreciate it. I didn't think to read my own states regulations. :big_smile: