Fishing Etiquette (sp)

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by KansasKatter, Jun 27, 2006.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Another post kind of reminded me of this. How do you explain to someone the eitiquet involved when you take them fishing? I fish alone about 90% of the time simply because I have been burned so many times by taking a buddy along, only to find him there fishing a few days later, with someone else! Then that guy comes back with another buddy, and so on and so on...kind of like that old commercial on TV...and they tell two friends and they tell two friends.

How do you approach this when you take a buddy fishing somewhere that you want to keep pressure off of, besides simply not taking them? Most are on private land, but the problem is my buddies can get permission to pretty much any place I have permission, since we all grew up together. Really ticks me off! At the same time, it is nice to fish with somebody to help pass the time between bites.

Any suggestions?

2. FlatheadMan

FlatheadMan New Member

State:
    Freedom,Pa
    Same here I tell them up front that this spot is off limits with out me so they no just were I stand

3. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I've tried that, and they agree to it, just seldom ever stick to it. I guess the possibility of catching fish is just to strong for them. That is why I fish alone about 90% of the time. I have lost some good friends over this issue. I don't even care if they go back alone, without me, just DON'T BRING ANYONE ELSE!!!!

4. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    If they don't respect your rules then don't let know he good spots. The first time i take someone to my favorite spot I wind them threw the country until lost using back roads. and take them ut a different way than we got there.

5. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    The same thing happen to me a couple years ago.. I found this place off the main river channel where you could catch your fill of 1 and 2 pound channel cats..if nothing was biting on the river you could go to this overflow and catch fish..Over a 12 pack we agreed not to bring anyone else.. A week later I was at the river with my brother and met a guy that my best friend and I both knew..he was telling me about the honey hole my friend had taken him to..I know it was sort of stupid but I took the boat up there and found the place where he was fishing..and yep, it was the spot we said we would not bring anyone else to..when I got home I called him and believe it or not he denied it! We didn't go fishing together for the rest of the year and almost the next year..its still a sore subject that neither of us bring up. And like in your story..it seemed after that every time we were on the river someone was at that spot fishing..still burns my butt...

6. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I never share my honey holes. When I take friends fishing, I use the opportunity to try new places or techniques. It has always worked for me (both fishing and hunting).

7. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    John is telling you straight. If they don't respect you enough to keep their word you have'nt lost anything. I'd sure rather find that out right up front than trust them with something more important!!
    Don

8. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    i have only lived in TN for 7 months..yet everyone i work with wants me to take them fishin.

I take peeps to common areas..show them how to catch fish and then am hardly ever available after that. There is nothin greater than seein a young 8-10 yr old boy jerk on a rig and pull in a 1/2 lb bluegill!....the look in their young eyes is so precious!

The joy of sharin a day on the water (with or without catchin fish) is somethin that many people do not fully enjoy. I just LOVE to be out on the water..enjoyin God's creation. That's does not mean that i won't have a mountain lion's appetite for catchin fish!

Honey hoes..well now that is a different story..i DEFINITELY would not share with anyone a great spot that has been VERY productive. Well that's not entirely true..there's one or two peeps i would love to share the fun with, but that's not gonna happen very often.

Sharin techniques is something that i freely enjoy sharin with others, but time on the water...MAN...i'm not gonna give up some info that took me a couple years to discover!!

We live in a "fast food" society and sharin what one has spent hours to discover would not even be slightly appreciated.

cyas
    rc

9. smith06

smith06 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It is an unwritten rule to not fish in another man's honey hole.....almost as bad as sleepin' with another man's wife.

10. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    When I first took my 2 best fishing buddies to my favorite spot on the river, which is only fished by a couple of regulars and I have learned to fish through the years by listening to stories of back in the day when my dad and his friend used to fish it, I told the 2 of them that I would really appreciate it if they never came down here with anybody else. So far, they've lived up to that, and its been over a year now. They usually don't even go without me, they've only gone 2 times without me.

11. mdudes17

mdudes17 New Member

State:
    Chicago, Illinois
    don't take ur friends to your best fishing holes. when you go with them, just go to a generic spot, save your secrets for yourself. the only way 3 people can keep a secret is if 2 of them are dead. remember that.

12. TXBlueHunter

TXBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Flower Mound, Texas
    I agree with everyone on this. If they were really friends then they would respect what you have shown them.

On a side note may be this is a topic that can be sent to the the Miller Lite Man Law team for debate.:lol:

13. Memphis_Catfish_King

Memphis_Catfish_King New Member

State:
    Memphis,TN
    i have no prob sharing my fishing spots with ppl...were theres 1 honey hole theres 10 just need to look i take friends ,family,n boss fishing i really could care less if there fishing them just gives me an excuse to find more instead of being lazy n hitting same wholes every time i go out..its nice to rely on a hot spot but get real ppl..just my opinion

14. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Gosh guys, I understand how you feel....
    However, "honey holes" on public water....

To show someone a good place to fish then expect them to NEVER take anyone else fishing there to me is a bit unreasonable if they are on public waters.
    Ive never once withheld the places I catch fish, in fact, I have detailed them on the BOC includeing the techniques I used to catch them.
    I love fishing, and I enjoy helping other people find fish.

So, I may as well say it. I have NO fishing etique I quess.
    I can't be trusted with your "secret" fishing holes you somehow own.

Apparently, the "brotherhood" of catfisherman stops at the good places to fish. Friendships are broken because of this?

This kind of thinking and bashing people who break your rules is not what I would consider "fishing etiquette". If you have a place to fish that has produced for you nicely and you don't want other people to know....
    THEN DON'T TELL ANYONE.
    Your breaking your own rules by doing so.
    Remember, they are YOUR rules. If your going to make up your own fishing etiquette rules, thats fine, just don't expect everyone else keep them when you break them yourself.

15. Memphis_Catfish_King

State:
    Memphis,TN
    ty kccats well said i agree 100%

16. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree if you show someone a good fishing spot, they should never fish it with other people..It's just courtesy!

17. Memphis_Catfish_King

State:
    Memphis,TN
    well ill say this anyone fishing Mississippi river bank fishing want to no a good spot just ask..or if Ur in Memphis area n u want to fish Glenn springs its a twra lake in tipton county just ask i have no prob telling you..only 2 places i fish..guess each his own at big gathering then for ppl never fishd there...

18. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I thought this thread was going to be about things like reeling in a fish with your pinky extended or using a fork and a knife to cut the bait. LOL

It is wrong for people to ba taking advantage like that, no respect.

19. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    What if this person that you showed your honey hole to then took his/her son/daughter to teach how to fish? I agree with kccats its nothing to lose your friendship over. However the person should ask you if its alright that they take someone there out of courtesy.

20. KWSMITH

KWSMITH New Member

State:
    Virginia
    If that person was a real friend you shouldnt have to tell them not to return to that honey spot with out you, it should be something that goes unspoken.